Need help connecting to devices on wan from lan (MT2500)

I’m trying to test my new Brume 2 security gateway. I’m not sure what settings I need to change.

Straight upon first connection the device suggested update to latest firmware, now on 5.4.211. I quickly checked websites from the internet are working fine (access from the MT2500 LAN port).

1st test: I tried MT2500 USB fileshare performance over SMB, I could read a file at 90 MB/s. At this point I’m happy.

2nd test: I tried to connect iperf3 client from ubuntu laptop (wired on MT2500 LAN port) to another iperf3 server IP on switch connected to WAN side of MT2500. Server is another ubuntu running iperf3 server mode connected to same switch as MT2500, which has been tested and working fine at all times.

I thought this should work with default settings on any regular router, I am confused. No matter what IP:s and services I try to access from the switch connected to WAN port of MT2500, I don’t seem to be able to access anything.

I’d like this to work, but is it possible and are there clear guides for beginners I should read first?

I have never used OpenWRT before, so please give me some tips on what should I check? I have not ssh:d into the router because I’m still trying to get my head around GL Inet docs.

Yup. By default non-solicited traffic to the WAN is dropped:

root@GL-AXT1800:~# cat /etc/config/firewall

config zone
        option name 'wan'
        list network 'wan'
        list network 'wan6'
        list network 'wwan'
        option output 'ACCEPT'
        option forward 'REJECT'
        option mtu_fix '1'
        option input 'DROP'
        option masq '1'

Switch the Burme 2’s WAN port to another LAN port via GL GUI → Internet → Ethernet → Using as WAN, Change to LAN or &/or enable GoodCloud for the remote management option in the GL GUI → Applications → GoodCloud.

I’m not sure if this was a stupid user error, but it seems it is working now.

Appears that using these devices still have some learning curve. GL Inet’s own GUI looks supremely easy for beginners, but I should still understand what I’m doing.

Even if you were used to LuCI (GL GUI → System → Advanced Settings) over GL GUI’s, GL make so much so much more convenient. I feel quite spoiled!

I like your style. Here; so you can safely ‘experiment’ yet still have a safety net/bailout option: