Not able to upgrade Flint 2 (currently on v 4.6.8) to anything newer

Have a Flint 2 at a relative’s place for over a year, and usually get it upgraded within a month of a new FW. However, I’ve been on 4.6.8 for a long time as I’ve heard complaints about WiFi on newer FW, so I just held off. This Flint 2 is running in Repeater mode, since Mesh wasn’t a thing until recently, and I’ve not been there to set that up, but wanted to provide this data point.

I have another Flint 2 at another location (this one is running in Router mode) that I have been running 4.11 for a while, and it’s been stable, so I figured I would connect remotely to the Flint 2 at the relative’s home to perform the upgrade but it keeps failing.

I tried doing the online upgrade to 4.11, and it looks like it was able to download and start the update, I get the % counter counting up, but it never gets to 100%, before the page fails to load, so I have to re-connect to it manually again. When I do, I see that it is still stuck on 4.6.8. Tried this twice and failed.

I then tried to download 4.7.7 from the GL.iNet’s Firmware Download page, and then do a local upgrade, but run into the same error as well. It would take the file, start the counter, doesn’t go to 100% before the page fails to load, and I have to re-connect.

Not sure what I am doing wrong and since I’m not there, I can’t factory reset the router or connect to it directly. Any ideas? Thank you!

The Admin Panel becoming unreachable before 100% can be normal because the router reboots and the repeater uplink drops during flashing. However, if SYSTEM → Upgrade still shows 4.6.8 after allowing at least 10 minutes, the upgrade did not complete or the router rolled back.

Before another attempt, check the router’s uptime immediately after reconnecting. If it did not reset, the flashing process stopped before reboot; if it reset but still shows 4.6.8, recovery may require an on-site wired connection. Since the router is remote and has no alternative management path, avoid repeated upgrades, SSH sysupgrade, or resetting it remotely. The safest next step is to upgrade while someone is present, using Ethernet and the official GL-MT6000 firmware; keep power connected throughout and have U-Boot recovery available if necessary. If you can obtain a short, redacted system-log excerpt from immediately after a failed attempt, post it here—please omit public IPs and other identifiers.

This reply was generated by AI. Please verify its accuracy.

GL.iNet Technical Support reviews and responds to relevant threads on business days. Please allow time for a staff response.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the details.

Since your Flint 2 is currently located at a remote location, if it is still working properly on v4.6.8, we would recommend keeping the current firmware for now to avoid the risk of losing remote access during the upgrade.

If you would like to upgrade, the safest option would be to have someone on-site assist with the process, preferably using a wired connection.
This would allow the router to be recovered or reconfigured if anything goes wrong.

Alternatively, you could also try upgrading the firmware remotely through GoodCloud.
GoodCloud guide:

Thank you for your understanding and support.