Not connecting to home wireguard VPN server

Hello all,

I’m trying to connect to my home Wireguard VPN and get this message: wgclient (30632): Name does not resolve: `xxxxxglddns.com:XXr 7 00:14:29 2023 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (2807): Configuration parsing error. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Do not post your DDNS hostname publicly. I strongly suggest that you edit your post and remove it.
On the other hand, did you enable the DDNS service on the router?

2 Likes

The VPN Client can’t reach the Wireguard Server. This could have multiple reasons, difficult to say without knowing your setup.

On the one site you have your client. It needs to have access to the internet and need to reach the server port.
Can you open google.com?
Can you ping your dyndns address?

On the Server side, the wireguard begin a router needs the port to be forwarded (UDP, not TCP), as most common issue.

Thank you, Benjamin. Yes, I have internet access as long as the VPN client is not turned on. Once I turn it on, since it cannot make a connection, it blocks access. How do I go about pinging my DDNS address?

I am away from home so can’t check the server for port forwarding (UDP( , but will when I get back. Thanks again.

Dan

I think I figured out how to ping the ddns I got ping request could not find host: xxxxxxxxxx

If you have VPN on and it worked, you are in the tunnel. These checks should be made before … Even if you should get the same results in a fully routed VPN.

The client asks the server at IP from dyndns at given port… If the dyndns fails → no VPN possible.
If you have VPN, the given DNS server within the VPN needs to resolve the dyndns. But why? The connection already is established at the address you try to debug.

VPN was not on when I did the Ping. If it on I get the same message though: Ping request could not find host “XXXXXXXXXXXXXX”. Please check the name and try again.

Do you have any suggestions to get the ddns working? Can I do this remotely or do I have to wait to get back home?

Without access to the device you can’t fix DDNS. It’s like you try to close the fridge, but stand before your house without a key.
I don’t know if the Goodcloud has this remote capabilities, if you have registered your device.

can you write to us using email, support at glinet.biz, attach a real wireguard config so that we test?

The log shows that the ddns is not resolving. So we have to solve this issue first. I need the real ddns to check if it works fine.

Sure, I’ll send you an email. Thanks.

Is the GL.iNet WireGuard router behind an ISP or other router? If so, then you have to set up port forwarding on the ISP router to the GL.iNet router.

If it is behind another router, then pinging the DDNS domain name may not work because it would be to the WAN IP of the ISP router that may be blocked to ping. Instead, run on a computer:

nslookup [xxxxxglddns.com]

to check that it can be resolved to an IP.

From your description, it sounds like the DDNS domain name is not working. Check that the Dynamic DNS switch on the GL.iNet router has been turned on.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

Enter your DDNS FQDN (hostname.glddns.com) and see if it gets resolved. If not, then you still have a DDNS problem, your public home’s ip address is unknown to the glddns service (or whatever other service you decided to use). You should focus on fixing this.
https://www.whatsmydns.net

Are you sure you’re not behind a CGNAT at home?

I haven’t get the email. When you sent, pls atten Alfie so that it is assigned to me. O

Or you can refer to this forum post so that I can link the info to the same case.

Thanks. I get this:
*** console.gl-inet.com can’t find xxxxxx.glddns.com:xxxxxx: Non-existent domain, The domain was created by my homebase router when I toggled on ddns. Is there something I need to do to register the domain?

Dan

On the GL.iNet router, make sure the Dynamic DNS switch on the right side is turned on (the UI may vary depending on the router model and firmware version):

If you click on the little “i” on the left side, it will show the DDNS domain name [xxxxxx.glddns.com] that should be in the WireGuard config file.

Wait 60 minutes or more to allow time to register and propagate, then run on a computer to check:

nslookup [xxxxxglddns.com]

It may also be possible that your ISP connection does not have a public IP address. Run on a computer to check:

https://whatismyip.com