Oblivious DNS (ODoH) - does it work?

I just got a Flint 2 yesterday. Very impressed so far.

I was very happy and a little shocked to see Oblivious DNS (oDoH) available as an option in the Encrypted DNS settings section.

My understanding is that Oblivious DNS (oDoH) is a really new/emerging standard/protocol that is still in the works, not widely implemented and not in wide use.

Does Oblivious DNS in fact work once a server is chosen? If so how? Is there a relay server too? I did not see that as a option in the settings and as far as I understand oDoH I thought a relay (secondary) server was part of it.

If it does indeed work, that is super awesome! From a privacy perspective would it better than using regular DoH? Based on my limited understanding the answer is yes.

Never heard that new protocol for DNS.
Adguard Home trying add development proxy DNS but not yet release.

Openwrt have document but not sure how working with GL UI or luci...

I feel that same thing protocol DOH

1 Like

I would love some help on this question.

@admon Would you be able to help answer this?

@Bruce maybe or @yuxin.zou or any GL staff.

I simply gave it a try and it works for me, yep.

1 Like

Thanks man! I did that as well and it works for me too. It was more how it works and transparency into how it is set up and working.

I also want a way to confirm or test that it is working. And my understanding is ODoH has a relay server as part of the set up and I do not see that mentioned at all when choosing a server. Would love to know if there is a relay server and if so what is the server being used.

Can't help with that, I am sorry.

1 Like

No worries at all. Thanks for trying to help!

Our encrypted dns uses the dnscrypt-proxy2 tool
relay (secondary) server is optional
We did not configure it, and the local dns proxy does not require a relay server

/etc/dnscrypt-proxy2/dnscrypt-proxy.toml

1 Like

Thanks for responding and explaining how it works!

Are you referring to all encrypted DNS including Oblivious DNS (ODoH)?

I was only and specifically asking about Oblivious DNS (ODoH), and trying to understand how it works since I thought it was a really new/emerging standard/protocol that is still in the works, not widely implemented and not in wide use, and my understanding is it requires a relay server or a relay server is part of the whole structure of it.

I was referring to this
relay server is optional

You can add it yourself in this configuration

1 Like