Opal File Sharing via samba disappears stops working

The file sharing via external device through samba works initially but after 2-3 days it stops. This means I can access the samba share but cannot view the the files. It is just shows an empty directory. I am sure my HDD is working because when I plug it to the computer, it works.

I have reset this device three times now and initially it works but after a few days the issue happens again. I have searched this forums and found similar issues to other users but nowhere did I find any solved.

Please help me and fix this bug!

Strange, I use an Opal with file sharing (256GB SD on a usb reader) and I never had one problem (I have a security camera that use file sharing as a NAS so the SD is constantly used). Have you tried using a different Hard disk or a different power adapter?

Which model of GL.iNet router do you have? If it has a USB 2.0 port and you have a spinning HDD, then the problem is likely due to limited power (sometimes works and sometimes not):

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

1 Like

Tried usb thumb drive, 2nd hdd, still no luck. It’s not the hard drive or power. If it was insufficient power then it should have intermittently stopped working on day one and not always on day 2 or 3.

Opal gl-sft1200.

Yes it’s a usb 2.0 port. I don’t think it is the power

For HDD, Power should always be a problem. If it better that the HDD has a separate power.

Even it worked first does not mean it will work continuously. Maybe sometimes the HDD needs more power and the router cannot provide enough power.

When this happens, always ssh to the router and get the log using logread

Also if this is the case then this router would be disappointing because my old 2013 64mb RAM router can power my external HDDs continuously with no hiccups.

I think it is more of the software because a reset would make it work again back to normal and even a thumb drive would show similar results. I do not have time to explore for now but will do over the weekends and explore with via ssh.

I’ll give feedback and update you all.

To everyone in this thread, thanks for all your help