Opal latest OpenWRT firmware

Just got a Opal SFT1200 and a bit disappointed to see it’s running OpenWRT 18.x. How secure is this since it’s an old codebase? Is there a way to run OpenWRT 21.x on Opal and keep the Gl.inet interface? I see there is a beta 3.215 beta 1. Is that still 18.x based? Or do I need to send this back and get a Slate or Beryl instead?

Thanks. New to these (but not new too OpenWRT).

Sorry the answer is NO update for Opal to latest openwrt.

Newer is not the same as ‘more secure’. Newer also got new issues.
See Debian vs. Ubuntu, for example. Ubuntu is more bleeding edge, but Debian is more stable. Secure are both, because of the handling of known issues. And GL.iNet is even providing Beta Firmware, that related known issues can be fixed fast in your environment.

I do like to start in my Beryl with a ‘well known’ codebase. Almost every topic I’ve had, is already covered in a FAQ or forum post, with a working solution.
And If I’ve got more than one device, I can flash direct OpenWRT. At least for the Beryl the source is: [OpenWrt Wiki] GL.iNet GL-MT1300 v1 … Here I can be bleeding edge, without the stability GL.iNet is providing at the moment.

The last point is very important for me, while on the road. Much more important than the latest (not necessarily safer) versions and services.

1 Like

Older software doesn’t mean that it is more stable.

True to that the older feature, it is more tested in production, but also it might contain bugs.
As of this case, there are security vulnerabilities as stated here:

And secondly, the latest OpenWrt main version is 23. v18 is truly a disgrace to be delivered with…

Correct. The age is not a indicator of reliability of software. The more valuable word could be “maintained”.

Thanks for your answer. But in any case, I am not involved in the GL Inet decisions. Just wanted to make a point to understand the various devices better.
From my beryl I upgraded to a Slate AX and Slate Plus. My RV got a Shadow … Maybe I’ll change my home router to a Flint2.
In all cases I have the feeling, the maintainance is continuing given.

But everybody is free do decide different.

1 Like

There shouldn’t be any reason why the Opal cannot be updated to 19.07.10 as a minimum.
The siflower kernel source is based on 4.14 which 19.07 supports
4.14 is still being developed and if someone is willing to port the siflower kernel changes upstream with the latest 4.14 kernel being 4.14.339.

linux-4.14.90$ git status
On branch release
Your branch is ahead of 'origin/release' by 735912 commits.

Back in a moment

I recently acquired an Opal, here in the UK it was on a very good Amazon offer. I’m pleased with it so far but was reading online comments about it running on abandonware. Found that the latest update was in fact last month with bug and security fixes. Not so bad after all.

1 Like