OpenVPN device as Client,Remote-Gateway Routing to Subnet

Brume GL-MV1000
OpenVPN Server via Cloud Service https://openvpn.net/ → “OpenVPN Cloud”

I’d like to build a service network with multiple Brume, OpenVPN Client, used as Gateway device to the underlaying Subnet. The Subnet is ALWAYS same property 192.168.1.0/24 .

The Devices has IP forwarding active and Masquerade from OpenVPN into LAN (192.168.1.0/24) manually added.

A PC (call it “B”), also VPN Client, shall have access to just one other OpenVPN BrumeW Device at a time (therfore 192.168.1.0/24 subnet).

This is possible when the route to the OpenVPN Endpoint is manually added like:
[Windows]
route ADD {subnet} MASK {Subnetzmask} {individual OpenVPN Client as Gateway}
route ADD 192.168.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 100.96.1.114

For changing the remote network, the route must be removed and changed to the new OpenVPN IP (remote-gateway / exit-node)

With this method I got it working with Device “B” and a Ubuntu Systems, without special configurations. With GL-MV1000, it gets some incoming packets (due to firewall logs), but does not respond to the caller device “B” and does not perform routing to the underlaying subnet devices.

I tried many settings, without any luck. Maybe there is some blocking service I cannot discover or something with the routing or a special configuration required. Maybe due to bridged LAN Ports of the local network…

Do you have helpful ideas?

Does another gl-inet device support such an installation? I’d like to avoid an additional small linux machine just for a correct configuration setting, i do not yet know…

Hi SteveEy,

Could you give a simple topology to explain your needs? I couldn’t understand it clearly through your description.

OpenVPN-Server                       
via https://openvpn.net/cloud-vpn/   ***
OpenVPN-Client                         *
PC "B"                                 *
Windows  **** PC LAN Interface *********
route ADD 192.168.1.0                  *
_ MASK 255.255.255.0 100.96.1.YYY      *
                                       *****GL-MV1000_OpenVPN-Client  1  (192.168.1.0/24   e.g. OpenVPN IP 100.96.1.114)
                                       *               maquerade VPN to LAN ************ Device 192.168.1.11 
                                       *                                             *								
                                       *                                             *** Device 192.168.1.12	  
                                       *                                             *** Device 192.168.1. ...
                                       *****GL-MV1000_OpenVPN-Client  2  (192.168.1.0/24   e.g. OpenVPN IP 100.96.1.116)
                                       *****GL-MV1000_OpenVPN-Client  3  (192.168.1.0/24   e.g. OpenVPN IP 100.96.1.118)
                                       *****GL-MV1000_OpenVPN-Client  n (192.168.1.0/24 )
                                       *               maquerade VPN to LAN ************ Device 192.168.1. ... 

When using a Ubuntun Linux PC with OpenVPN-Client instead of Brume, everything works fine to route to the 192.168.1.0 when adding the manual route on PC “B”.

On another hacked WLAN Router OpenWRT + masquerade + openvpnClient, the setup worked.

The Brume, receives something, but packet must be blocked for any reason, and does route into 192.168.1.0/24.

Disabling Firewall did not help. Maybe deeper internal setting.

I assume that you want to access multiply GL-MV1000 subnet on PC “B” with this configuration.

But why do you set same subnet with multiply routers? And have you set iroute in openvpn server?