Openvpn firmware for testing

@alphaa, are you connecting from outside of your local network? For example, your openvpn server is at your home and you are connecting from your hotel.

Or are you connecting in your local network? Which means your openvpn server is at your home and you are connecting in your home as well. In this way it is not meaningful.

Update: Openvpn firmware 2.18 for GL.iNet6416, GL-AR150 and GL-AR300 is out:

You can download from http://www.gl-inet.com/firmware/testing/

This firmware is testing and cannot install kernel modules. When official firmware is published, you can upgrade online.

New service supported:

• purvpn.com is tested, which has different ovpn files.

Thank you Alfie. Will test later tonight with StrongVPN.

Regards,

Keith

PS

I suspect “purvpn” should read “purevpn”

@alzhao

The 2.18 testing firmware flashed successfully on my 6416A v1 from the 2.15 Release OEM Advanced Settings UI panel.

After selecting my StrongVPN .ovpn configuration file, the green box reports that the “[filename] was uploaded successfully”. However, directly below the box, a message indicates “Cannot find the correct ovpn files!”. I do not see a radio button to click to start the VPN service.

Note that I use this .ovpn configuration successfully and continuously on my SabaiOS router and VPNA.

Regards,

Keith

@eKeith, I just bought an Strong VPN account and checked the ovpn file. There is no “proto tcp” or “proto udp” in the ovpn files. I am updating the firmware. But you can manually add “proto tcp” as one line in the ovpn file and try immediately.

I just tried and it works great by adding proto

@alzhao Just wanted to drop in again and say that it’s still working very well with proxy.sh.

Are you planning to add some kind of auto-refresh (IP-rotation) feature?

eg. After an extended period of data inactivity the VPN connection would be automatically renewed/refreshed so that a new IP is assigned.

@alzhao, thanks much for purchasing a StrongVPN account, troubleshooting and testing. I look forward to your new bake…

@vpnHelp, do you mean change to another server or renew from the same server? Seems this is not easy decision.

@alzhao A new server, but the same VPN. Just a disconnect and reconnect using the same .ovpn file would automatically do it.
The .ovpn file provided by proxy.sh contains the following config which takes care of the server randomization already.

remote is.proxy.sh 443
remote nl.proxy.sh 443
remote ro.proxy.sh 443
remote ru.proxy.sh 443
(…etc…)
remote-random

Right now I can manually disable and enable the VPN in the router to achieve this, but having it done automatically when the computer is asleep/off would be very convenient.

@vpnHelp, I think right now you can write your own script to do this. It is not difficult.

For proxy.sh, you can just do /etc/init.d/startvpn restart, e.g. every hour

Or if you are using other vpn services, you can just loop all the ovpn files, set it as current one (in /etc/config/glconfig)

It is a hard decision to do this automatically. Because users know which route is faster and want to keep that route. If we automatically changed the route but the result is unexpected (for example, internet interrupt), users could be very annoyed.

But we do plan to add some tools to test these vpn servers, e.g. whether they are active. Or we can add script like you said.

i have some suggestion i wish if you can add them if they are possible

1- Auto connect ( connect to the fastest server)

2-check vpn connection , if no ping ==> restart

3-using the switch to switch between two server

4-more configuration from glinet custom firmware for vpn … like adding DNs server to prevent dns leak

5-show the new ip address in the openvpn configuration

6-the connect buttoon is laggy… its took me like 10 times to get it work

7-led color change when vpn is connected

@theP, thanks. we will add more ovpn management functions to the UI. Some are not easy. For example, how to detect the fastest server? This could be done using ping, but the server with min latency doesn’t mean it is fast. It will consume a lot of computation resource, which the router is not able to provide. For most suggestions, we could be able to satisfy.

hey guys,

i see good progress here :slight_smile: … nice to see this :slight_smile:

just one question: how close are we from a “final” release?

cheers

I hope to release the openvpn firmware for all our routers by the end of this month.

However we keep having minor bugs in testing. So we have already several internal testing versions. Once testing are ok, we can publish.

thank you for the quick reply!

and this is awesome news! … thank you for all the efforts!

great work!

We are glad to release V2.19 firmware for MT300A, MT300N and MT750, with OpenVPN pre-installed.

AR series firmware V2.19 will be released next week.

We will add more features to easy vpn settings in coming version.

I’ve just installed 2.19 on the 300n and haven’t been able to get the openvpn to work. I believe the issue is because the ovpn files provided my privateinternetaccess.com do not include the username and password within the file.

I tried changing one of the files to use an auth.txt file with the username and password inside, however the txt file was not accepted.

I attached an ovpn file from PIA, I was uploading them to the router in a tar.gz with the cert and pem files included.

Since I can’t upload the ovpn file here are the contents:

client

dev tun

proto udp

remote us-seattle.privateinternetaccess.com 1194

resolv-retry infinite

nobind

persist-key

persist-tun

ca ca.crt

tls-client

remote-cert-tls server

auth-user-pass

comp-lzo

verb 1

reneg-sec 0

crl-verify crl.pem

I am not sure the reason. But I have tested PIA and it works. The UI will pop up a window asking for username and password. You should upload the crl file together in the same zip as ovpn.

Mifi the UI didn’t say error. Maybe you can try deleting all files from /etc/openvpn and have another try.

rm -fr /etc/openvpn/*