openVPN to QNAP openvpn server fails

last log: to prevent this [TS Series NAS] Peer Connection Initiated with [AF_INET]xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1194 AUTH: Received control message: AUTH_FAILED SIGTERM[soft,auth-failure]received, process exiting

I know the username/password is correct. Any idea what it could be?

UPDATE - I lowered the AES from 256 to 128 and it works. Any plan to support 256 AES soon ?

I find this post very interesting, and have some questions, but first the issue of AES.

AES is a config parameter, and should not be something that needs to be supported in firmware. The client and server must match. You are not explicit on the QNAP OpenVPN config, and this may or may not be a config option for your hardware. Check your servers config\docs\forum for the parameter. I have a Synology that supports OpenVPN, but run the OpenVPN server on my router as there are very few config options for the server and no AES parameter specified.

I am curious about a few things.

1 - Can you access just the NAS or can you connect to other network clients behind the router for file transfer (Windows Explorer) and remote access (Remote Desktop)

2 - Is the router that is in front of the NAS an OpenWrt device or another device. Directly related is what ports\firewall rules did you need to set up?

3 - Performance tests. While most people use something like speedtest.net its really testing from your GLi to the NAS and then back out to the internet and back again. I like to test the ability of the tunnel to move data and use Tutosft’s LanSped test. Totusoft | LAN Speed Test It’s a free utility that does not require installation (Windows). If you run it on the VPN client PC it will send a file of a size you choose across the tunnel to a location of your choice, write it, then read it back and delete it. So much easier than iPerf. I suggest opening the path to the location first in Explorer and copying it to Lan Speed test. It does not like to “open” the path thru the tunnel sometimes, but works fine once it’s been connected to. It you are willing to bench mark, that’s super. Please not if you are connected by Ethernet or wireless and for which connections. Ethernet is always faster.

4 - Which GL device and what firmware.

Thanks