Ordering MIFI v3

Excellent, this is very exciting. Just one more question about the modem. Someone earlier mentioned it may house a Quectel EC200T. I’m looking for a modem with worldwide 4G with 2/2.5G fallback which this one has. But on the page, only 4G was mentioned. Does the v3 have 2/2.5G fallback? If not, are there any recommended with worldwide capability that’s compatible with this?

I was very excited to see a dual band mifi-device from GL-inet. But by sharing the LAN/WAN in one port it will make me doubt if I would want it. I do use cabling whenever possible, so having only one wired connection is a bit of a bottleneck!

Especially when setting up complicated configurations in OpenWRT having a stable internet and LAN connection is something I like.

If an 2 ethernet port + USB-c docking station would become available, I believe it would be absolutely perfect!

I understood what you want.

But shouldn’t the main internet connection of this new device be 4G and WISP?

Putting everything in one box will make it too big.

Sorry for the wall of text that is there to follow.

I do like the docking station concept. It will keep the box small for 4G and WISP usage. And in case you want Ethernet you could plug in the “docking station” and use the Ethernet on that.

When I look for a travel router I want all the flexibility I can get. I generally do not know if a room/apartment/accommodation has Ethernet (plenty of business orientated hotels do), good enough Wi-Fi or neither. In case of neither 4G will of course be the way to obtain internet! In general I do check in that order, because Ethernet is better (generally more stable) then WISP. 4G is generally more expensive then Ethernet and Wi-Fi when that is available. I want to be able to handle all those cases and my current gear can do so, but consist out of multiple parts and is really not as plug and play as non-power-users would like a product to be!

When I’m not traveling my travel router sometimes will actually act as backup system in case there are service disruptions at my ISP, which for my setup is means it is wired between modem and router and will use WISP or 4G as uplink while wired is gone. (Automatically switching back when it sees wan is connected to the internet!)

I do understand you aim it at being a Mifi and WISP system! The device has no Ethernet ports at all unless you connect the docking station. I’m just wondering if an 2 Ethernet dock is being considered as option? For those rare users that search a very flexible solution instead of just a Mifi! I doubt an 2 port Ethernet dock would make the Mudi to big. Especially given those ports are not in the Mifi, but a special docking station that is only needed when you want to use Ethernet!

Let me be honest and compare the GL-Mifi and Mudi based on what I know:

• GL-Mifi has no “fancy” screen.
  • GL-Mifi has smaller battery. (5000 mah vs 7000mah)
  • GL-Mifi is smaller but a bit thicker! (105 * 72 * 27mm vs 145 * 77,5 * 23,5mm) Really?!
  • GL-Mifi has no 5GHz wifi.
  • GL-Mifi has 1 LAN and 1 WAN port without needing to attach anything!
  • Mudi with dock attached only 1 Ethernet port ever! Pick your config carefully! LAN onto LAN can break a network if you needed LAN to WAN!

In my eyes I will have more issues with only 1 Ethernet port then with having no 5GHz and no screen! I can image that users that really are looking for a MiFi the Mudi might indeed be better than the GL-Mifi.

Without the Ethernet, the Mudi is aimed at Mifi-market where there are alternatives (probably none with as advanced software as the Mudi will likely have), but specification-wise and quality/price it might come close to some other mifi-devices!

For those wondering, my current gear:
(GL-AR300M + battery pack + 4G dongle + Netgear WNDA3200 as dedicated radio for WISP OR GL-Mifi + Netgear WNDA3200 as dedicated radio for WISP)

100% agree with this…
“In my eyes I will have more issues with only 1 Ethernet port then with having no 5GHz and no screen!”

All business oriented hotels have Ethernet, and I always like to rely on those for WWAN and then use a LAN, both faster and hopefully more secure connection, and not using clogged WiFi.

And not be misunderstood, 4G to WiFi has it many use incl. airports, restaurants etc. But I hate to chose between one of the options, and drop the most workhorse configuration which is WWAN to LAN in hotels.

If a dock is not available with 2 ethernet ports to be used as a WAN and LAN, then GL-MiFi will still be the preferred option for me.

The main draw back of the current MiFi is its size. This above all has prevented me from recommending product. You should be able to slip it comfortably in a jean pocket as a basic starting point from usability perspective. I shouldn’t have to carry a bag everywhere because of it or have this bulky brick sticking out of my pocket. No other mifi devices on market are like this. Hope the new product improves on this.

If i have to believe the specs:
GL-MIFI = 105 x 72 x 27mm
Mudi = 145 x 77.5 x 23.5mm

So 40 mm longer, 5.5 mm wider, but 3.5 mm thinner. So overall GL-MIFI is smaller! If the GL-MIFI is already to big, then I wonder what kind of gear you are recommending for that case…

Let’s give that some more other items as comparison:
Samsung Galaxy S10 = 149.9 x 70.4 x 7.8mm
Apple iPhone 11 = 150.9 x 75.7 x 8.3 mm

So basically when it comes to size the Mudi is 3 flagship smartphone stacked on top of each other.

Xiaomi 20000mAh Fast Charging Powerbank: 141.9 x 73 x 21.8mm
Expect a basic 20000mAh battery pack as the size of the Mudi!

@notandor, I’m happy I’m not alone in my story! Yes, WAN and LAN are the great workhorses!

1 Like

I know the size of a power bank. Unfortunately you cannot fit everything inside and have a smaller size.

Yes It is bigger than a smartphone. Nearly all routers are bigger than that.

1 Like

Looks promising. Could slap in my existing EP06 Module from current MiFi.
Have some few questions though before possibly considering it for upgrade:

1. WWAN module could fit / support newer modules with more band aggregation and speed? (eg. Quectel EM20, Telit LM960, etc.)

2. I realized this is mainly using internal antenna. Would it still be possible to install an external antenna port to it?

3. I see this will be in kickstarter, so the product specs and looks itself are subject to change before being available to buy?

We can add new drivers without problem. We are testing EG06-G

It still has uFL. But it should be different to add external antenna. The internal antenna performs very good actually.

The specs will not change. We have been testing this for months. Any change In hardware specs could cause months delay.

1 Like

AR9531 - 100BaseT, that is the switch inside the SoC itself

I’m not worried for the size. I was just pointing out to Jeff88 what to expect based on the specs. For a Mifi it is what I expect the size to be. The space for a battery pack I have anyways as sometimes my travel gear has that battery pack anyway.

I’m more worried that it lost 2 ethernet ports, got bigger and with accessories can only have 1 ethernet jack compared to the GL-Mifi.
And even then, I’m not worried unless the GL-Mifi will not become EOF because of the Mudi.

Mifi will not EOL before there is one replacement.

Mudi is not to replace mifi, but only to better fulfill the needs of travelers.

I know 2 Ethernet ports is the killer feature of mifi, also true for our mini routers.

What are the default mPCIe cards included with Mudi? Is it going to be available without LTE card?
I’m looking for LTE frequencies in particular.

Keep an eye out on this page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/glinet/mudi-4g-lte-privacy-router-for-road-warriors

More details coming soon :slight_smile:

Now, Mudi (so called MiFi V3) is live on Kickstarter!

EC-25AFFA CAT4 for North America

CAT4, and unclear what the supported bands are.

:frowning_face:

B2/B4/B5/B12/B13/B14/B66/B71

Great for NA, not for international travels.

Is there space for a mPCIe M.2 adapter?

I wanted to order unfortunately my country is not included in the super early bird 'shipping" list :frowning:

1 Like

GL is currently testing a Quectel global module, but it is not ready yet. More info on that later.
For now there are also Sierra global modules you can add into the Mudi for global coverage.