Our first Wi-Fi 6 router Flint (GL-AX1800) is available for order now!

I know MTK7622 is the best supported wifi6 chipset. How is the wifi performance?

1 Like

I have a Beryl and I think the vanilla WiFi driver isn’t fully functional. Parts of it work, but not well enough to move to vanilla. However, I was able to build my own image with imagebuilder using my own code. But I would not recommend anyone to move to vanilla OpenWRT with the Beryl just yet.

E8450 doesn’t support full wifi6. In fact, it doesn’t support full wifi5 either. Good for the price but if all you want are 20/40 Mhz channels, then it could work.

that may be so but I can connect to my mifi at 5ghz and use it as a wan through my devices. Just wish someone would have a router that con broadcast and connect as a client simultaneously on 5ghz.

The Beryl can do this on the same frequency. I just haven’t figured out how to use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz with the wierd phy they used.

I had simmilar setup but on 2.4ghz. I just plugged USB wifi card (and LTE dongle) via USB hub and set it up in client mode and router (Mango) was in Master mode. This + Mwan3 = theoretical 3 Internet connections so when one died, mwan3 would use the other. I loved that setup

Hi black_jmyntrn.

I have successfully got the beryl to do this with vanilla OpenWrt 21.02.1. It appears the WiFi drivers are working perfectly now. Luci needs to be updated, though. It looks weird in Luci. Here is my WiFi configuration that has a 5Ghz client and AP with a 2.4Ghz AP. You should be able to tweak these settings to match your setup. Obviously your AP channel on the radio you are using for the client have to be the same as the AP you are connecting to. In my case channel 36 is the AP with SSID “TheBoat…”. So I also have to use channel 36 for the AP on the beryI since there is only a single 5Ghz chain. hope this helps.

config wifi-device ‘radio0’
option type ‘mac80211’
option path ‘1e140000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0’
option band ‘2G’
option htmode ‘HT20’
option hwmode ‘11g’
option channel ‘3’
option cell_density ‘0’
option country ‘US’

config wifi-iface ‘default_radio0’
option device ‘radio0’
option network ‘lan’
option mode ‘ap’
option ssid ‘SturdyNet-24G’
option encryption ‘psk2’
option key ‘********’

config wifi-device ‘radio1’
option type ‘mac80211’
option path ‘1e140000.pcie/pci0000:00/0000:00:00.0/0000:01:00.0+1’
option band ‘5g’
option hwmode ‘11a’
option channel ‘36’
option country ‘US’
option htmode ‘VHT80’
option cell_density ‘0’

config wifi-iface ‘wifinet0’
option device ‘radio1’
option mode ‘sta’
option network ‘wwan’
option ssid ‘Theboat2-5G’
option encryption ‘psk2’
option key ‘********’

config wifi-iface ‘default_radio1’
option device ‘radio1’
option network ‘lan’
option mode ‘ap’
option ssid ‘SturdyNet’
option encryption ‘psk2’
option key ‘********’

@alzhao These router have a kind of signal amplifier, just like the xiaomi ax1800?, what similarities os diferences have betwen then? (except dram and firmaware)

Seems xiaomi ax1800 also use the same chipset. All routers has signal amplifier.

System should be pretty the same.

@alzhao Flint has a qorvo amplifiers too?

We use a different one.

I think it would be interesting to create a thread with all this information, because for some users these device bowel details are interesting.

Examples:

Broadcom not interesting, this is crap

you are epic! the problem now, is my wifi doesn’t work… ordered a Flint and in less than a week it burned out or something because one night it stopped working, devices still connected, and was very hot. I unplugged it and never turned it back on again… RIP FLINT!

Three WAN devices all connected and balanced with mwan