Edit: a factory reset fixed it. This seemed to happen after I upgraded firmware, so something in the upgrade process seemed to break things. Hope this helps anybody else out there.
I recently brought my GL-MT1300 router to a hotel and noticed some connectivity issues that I’m hoping to get some help with. The hotel provides wired Ethernet for internet, so I connected my router to it via the WAN port and shared the connection with my devices using Router mode over WiFi.
The issue I’m experiencing is that clients connected via WiFi (as I only brought one Ethernet cable, I don’t have any information about connectivity via the LAN port) are losing data for about 5-7 seconds every minute to minute and a half. This is happening on both my IOS Iphone and Linux laptop, and I first noticed it when my DNS resolver failed on my laptop. To further test the issue, I did a simple ping test for a couple of minutes and noticed total packet loss for 5-7 seconds approximatly every minute and a half. I repeated the test with my iPhone and observed the same behavior.
To rule out any laptop or phone-related issues, I plugged the Ethernet cable directly into my laptop and conducted the same test. I did not observe any issues, which suggests that the problem lies with the router. I recently upgraded to version 3.215, but the issue still persists.
I would appreciate any assistance in troubleshooting and resolving this issue. The hotel WiFi is pretty poor, and sharing my own WiFi via my router is much faster, but the connectivity issues make it nonviable.
What other troubleshooting or mitigation steps can I take to resolve this issue? I would be happy to collect logs or any other information that may be helpful.
Update: I don’t experience this issue in Bridge mode, only router mode.
Thank you in advance for your help.
—4 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=77 ttl=64 time=53.7 ms
64 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=78 ttl=64 time=56.0 ms
64 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=79 ttl=64 time=54.1 ms
From 172.27.67.248 icmp_seq=89 Destination Host Unreachable
From 172.27.67.248 icmp_seq=90 Destination Host Unreachable
From 172.27.67.248 icmp_seq=91 Destination Host Unreachable
64 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=92 ttl=64 time=766 ms
64 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=93 ttl=64 time=53.8 ms
64 bytes from 172.27.145.207: icmp_seq=94 ttl=64 time=72.2 ms
— 172.27.145.207 ping statistics —
94 packets transmitted, 72 received, +3 errors, 23.4043% packet loss, time 93652ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 53.354/150.437/3052.172/439.459 ms, pipe 4