Power delivery

I’m wondering how difficult, both technically and financially, it would be to incorporate USB - C power delivery port. Instead of relying on barrel jack for power. Would making one less thing for us travelers to carry. Many of us are powering a laptop, likely a phone also with USB-C already. It would be great to be able to power my travel router with the same User Friendly port!

Can anyone else relate??!

I dare say i’d be smitten with a convexa S with a usb-c power port.

Nope, all my devices use a USB micro port.

TypeC is coming to some our new products.

But pls note typec add a lot of extra cost and physically make the size bigger.

In cheap routers we will still use microUSB.

I can accept cost.
I don’t accept it is ‘larger’.

The Micro-B USB is slightly smaller than the Mini and is the most widespread USB port design for current smartphones and tablets. At 8.3 x 2.5 mm, the Type-C port and connector are approximately the same size as that of the Micro-B USB, making it tiny enough to work for even the smallest peripheral devices.

TypeC needs extra chipset, more electronic components in circuit so that is why it cost more and is large.

Can we electrically wire a usb-c breakout to the micro USB pins for power? Doesn’t any USB C port for charging output 5V by default?

Or can we buy a power delivery board and integrate it inside to negotiate 5V?

1 Like

Wouldn’t something like this do it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pin-Micro-USB-2-0-Male-Jack-to-USB-3-1-Type-C-Female-Connector-Data-Adapter-New/253236779803?hash=item3af6169b1b:m:mQ3KB9AHtLxki7uinWtLUcw

I would prefer a router with a native connection like everything else I’m carrying.

Well you could use a DIY breakout board like this:

Just follow the USB spec for how to wire it properly. Notice how the boards are not just the plug, they have some passives on them too.

USB-C negotiates using the CC pins for higher voltages and power levels, but yes, it outputs 2.1A at 5V max default, so you could wire it up using the USB 2.0 pins.

Agreed - USB-C PD is non-trivial, and it does depend much on things and cables also being compliant.

Actually it is very easy to just make a new board with the usb-c connector and have legacy power, as it is now. That is totally supported by the usb-c standard.

I know a lot of people that want to just be able to use the usb-c chargers and cable itself, not caring about USB-PB or higher voltage standards.

1 Like

actually not - as there’s been some good discussion on armbian forums about this very same issue - USB-PD and part of the problem is not the device itself, but the device it attaches to.

USB3 and USB-C - the intent was to clean up confusion for end-users, but alas, made it ever more complicated…

So are you telling me that a USB-C charger will not supply 5V default on the usual usb power lines, and won’t negotiate a higher voltage if the devices allows?
If so then all the specs i have seen of USB-C are wrong, and lots of devices should be blowing up.

I’m looking at the spec by TI right here:

Page 8, “VBus defaults to 5V, 500mA power supply”

Swapping out the SMD micro usb for a USB-C on the board, connecting the same usb2 connections and adding 5.1k pulldown resistors to CC1 and CC2 is enough for it to work with USB-C power hosts and for usb2 speed data transfer.

1 Like

Lot of stuff just doesn’t do the right thing - so yes, stuff blows up…