PPPoA Connection to ISP not working. daemon.err pppd[10173]: connect(0.0.38): No such device

Hi all,

I just got a new CONVEXA-B. I’m trying to connect using PPPoA with a username and password since my ISP (Sky UK) requires it. I changed the WAN interface to PPPoATM (I believe that’s what openWRT calls it), and inputted my details. However, the router keeps saying that no ethernet cable is plugged in. I have the feeling that this just means that it can’t connect? Can anyone please confirm?

Is there a way to debug why the PPPoA connection is failing? I can’t see any logging anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I found this guide, but it seems the version of OpenWRT that the router comes with is version 15 rather than 18. Does anyone know what would have to change to make this work for version 15?

Can you try a version from openwr?

If I don’t have to I’d rather keep the existing version, as I don’t have a whole lot of experience with upgrading firmware and the consequences etc.

I see this in the log:

daemon.err pppd[10173]: connect(0.0.38): No such device

Does anyone know what this means?

This is what I have in my /etc/config/network (along with everything else there already was)

config dsl ‘dsl’
option annex ‘a’
option tone ‘a’
option xfer_mode ‘ptm’
option line_mode ‘adsl’

config interface ‘wan’
option _orig_ifname ‘eth0’
option _orig_bridge ‘false’
option proto ‘pppoa’
option encaps ‘vc’
option atmdev ‘0’
option vci ‘38’
option vpi ‘0’
option username ‘myusername’
option password ‘mypassword’

Interestingly enough I’ve seen screenshots from people online who have the dsl section show up in the router GUI as well under “Interfaces”, but it’s not there for me. Hence I wonder if it’s relevant, but I still just copied it from the OpenWRT wiki link above.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Just found out apparently this router doesn’t support DSL. Will just use my old modem.