PPtP Server and OpenVPN Server on gl-ar300m/gl-ar150

Most (actually all) documentation seems to be aimed at the client side. I would like to run a pptpd server (not so much worried about “security”, basically want tunneling). It is a missing package I would like to locate (along with its luci companion for configuration).

Also I did install the OpenVPN server but don’t have documentation for use as a server or client. I guess I can try to use other sources to figure out what Luci is doing in regards to OpenVPN configuration, starting with the sample server and client. Anyone got this to work?

My feeling is that the gl-ar300m should have enough power to run these servers as my old Asus n66u does it comfortably with a comparable speed of processor. Comcast limits my uplink speed to 12mb so although it can arrive at 240mb, it immediately will be throttled going back out.

My use case is to dedicate the ar300m as my home network’s DHCP/DNS/DDNS/VPN server immediately behind my primary router which has brain dead Linksys software, thus I run the primary router as little more than a glorified gateway/switch/wireless hub. I want freedom now and in the future from reliance on high performance router firmware from the manufacture or other flaky 3rd party firmware (like broken, half working DD-Wrt ports). I actually have this working as a prototype using the n66u strictly in server mode with all radios turned off. But the n66u is big, clunky and a power hog. The gl-ar300m is small and cool. :slight_smile:

It is my intent to have several small severs on the same gigabyte switched network as the router in addition to the ar300m network server including an existing VOIP ATA and NAS. May replace the NAS with either a Rasberry Pi or another gl-ar300m if it can move USB data at a reasonable speed good enough for backups and/or media serving.

Any input or guidance on pushing these wonderful little routers into cheap, low powered network server mode would be greatly appreaciated.

Actually pptp and openwrt server is already installed in the router. It just takes long time to develop a very easy interface. We are working on this but I don’t have a schedule for you.

Thanks. I did discover the openvpn server UI which I will play with.

As for pptd, I take it that can probably follow the OpenWRT notes for configuration by editing the files directly with SSH.

Lastly, what version of DD-WRT or Tomato (by Shibby) should I try? I wonder if the versions for the Asus N16 be a good starting point.

now only AR150 has an official ddwrt firmware so you could try. Other version has no official ddwrt firmware.

Hi,

I managed to configure my GL AR300M as a TAP OpenVPN very easily following this tutorial:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/vpn.openvpn#tab__server-bridge_tap_server3

Just connect to the mini router via SSH.

The tunnelling worked immediately. I had to add a new line in the .ovpn client configuration file to force the client to use as default gateway the OpenVPN server and router all the Internet traffic over it as well.

Happy VPNing!!! ???

You can assign your personal IP address to your drop by creating a VPN tunnel. Whether you want to create your Virtual Private Network (VPN), or want to assign an SSL certificate to that IP address, you have many options, with the potential options, among the most optimal PPTP and OpenVPN. A Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) allows you to implement your own VPN very quickly, and is compatible with most mobile devices. Any Idea about server error 3219.