Remotely working across country for a US company with Server / Client Wireguard

Hello, I am going to be doing a server / client wiregaurd vpn while I travel. The server be at home in the US and the client will be on the other side of the world in SE Asia. I just purchased the Beryl AX - love the fastness, really great device, I am planning on setting that up at the client. Do you have a recommendation for a Glinet device to act as the server. I was considering Brume2 but the specs seem much slower, I was also considering another Beryl AX because I love my current one, but honestly open to any Glinet device. Do you have any insights or recommendations? Thanks :slight_smile: P.S this is to live and work abroad (remote) while working for a US company. On top of setting this server / client VPN is there anything else I should do (turn off geotracking on my work computer? if so, how? or any other things I should look into?). Thanks again!

1 Like

To make a recommendation it would help to know what is your home internet speed, both up and down.

One other thing you should think about is what is your backup plan if something in your home system breaks or locks up while you are traveling. Is someone available to reset the router or contact your ISP? A single router using a single port and a single VPN protocol is a big single point of failure.

I do this entirely differently. I leave the computer at home and RDP into it over Openvpn. I travel with a cheap password protected Chromebook and a BerylAX (also a Mango for backup) for the travel end. That way, if I drop the Chromebook or it is lost or stolen, it is easily replaced and doesn’t compromise any confidential materials. Also, it complies with my contracts. And last, it means the internet speed wherever I might be is relatively unimportant because RDP traffic is light.

To the point made by @eric (having had to walk someone through rebooting everything, twice), figure out how you are protected from, and recover from, failure (power, ISP failure, fire, flood, theft). I have heavy duty UPSs in place, and everything is set to turn back on after a power failure. My home stuff is behind a locked door high enough to avoid flooding. Also, the whole setup is replicated at another location, and by an Oracle Cloud instance as a last resort. (Both of my physical locations have had days-long power outages.)

But to stay on topic, one aspect of the GL-Inet travel routers is that they have a single wireguard and single OpenVPN instance. You should set up, and test, both instances. My home router has two OpenVPN server instances and a wireguard instance, and I have sometimes needed to connect over one to correct something in another. You could also run a second server instance on a backup Mango or something else.

Hi Eric! @eric My home internet speed is xFi internet & download speeds up to 1000 Mbps and Uploads speeds up to 20 Mbs.

I really agree that is a big point of failure, in all honestly I don’t have someone I could 100% rely on to contact ISP/reset the router. I would prefer if my setup had a few backup options and troubleshooting that could be figured out by me in SE Asia.

I was originally going the direction of wireguard server/client because 1) I do not want the actual vpn on my work laptop for detectability reasons, I would like it to connect to the travel router and the router has the vpns. 2) Wireguard vpn has faster speeds 3) I work for a law firm and they have tons of security breach software in place so I really need this to not be detectable at all so I thought the best method was it look I was at home and not raise any flags.

@elorimer I like your set up but my work laptop has security software to pull encrypted files and certain tracking software (productivity data per employee) so I need to work through the actual machine/work laptop. So I would prefer a setup where I can bring my work laptop with me and use vpns to make it look like it is still in the US.

@eric @elorimer I am totally open to other set up options or different VPN recommendations, but the reasons I used above are of high priority. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

I would go with the Brume2 it has been the most stable for me. What specs are you talking about it beats Beryl AX in openvpn and wireguard speeds

@K3rn3l_Ku5h Thanks, you are right! I am leaning toward Brume2 now, do you travel outside the country & use a vpn server client with your Brume2? Have you run into any issues?

If your up speed is only 20mbps, this will be your max VPN down rate so an AR300M or AR300M16 would be fine and a lot cheaper. It’s what I use.

For redundancy I run 3 VPN protocols on my AR300M, and my site redundancy is 2 US based cloud VPS, also running 3 VPN protocols.

I travel with an AR750s, and 2 USB150 travel routers, and all three together weight less than the new Slate AX.

Like @eric stated a lot is dependent on the Server side Upload and download and the Clients side upload and download.

Check you companies policies on remote work (there are taxes, insurance, local laws, ect that you could be violating that could lead to you be terminated and sued by the company or imprisoned in a foreign country)

Turning off Geotracking or other software is a huge red flag for IT administrators, obfuscation is better. If it is a computer issued by work it more then likely has monitoring software on it.

WI-FI and Bluetooth devices will give away you location because they are constantly communicating with the surround devices, so you will need to use a wired connection.

So your best bet is to do a couple test runs of everything and see what kind of havoc it causes.