Remove the console.gl-inet.com

I have several glinet routers and need some Help. I need to be able to remove the hostname console.gl-inet.com. The problem is that when i perform a tracert command in cmd it shows: console.gl-inet.com [192.168.8.1].

I figured a way to change the name on the router on that part however if i do so i get this: routername.lan [192.168.8.1].

and when i access via ssh and the location of the name file and leave it empty i still get: .lan [192.168.8.1].

I need a way to completly remove the name next to it so when i perform a tracert command i get just the ip: 192.168.8.1 like the rest of the hops.

All help apreciated.

Can you tell more about the version of the firmware?

On newer versions you can go inside the advanced settings/luci and then in the tab network->dhcp you also have a hostname tab there i believe you can delete the entry there.

Only thing you have to do after is making sure your dns is flushed both from the browser and pc or phone, on chrome its: chrome:\\net-internals\#dns and on pc you need ipconfig /flushdns

On older versions you may need shell access.

Those reverse DNS entries are not really hurtful - why you want to remove them so badly?

1 Like

GL GUI → System → Advanced Settings → LuCI → Network → DHCP and DNS → Hostnames → [Delete]

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Hello. Versions 3 and 4 I know how to go in Lucia and find it and it let’s me cache it. But when you do tracer the very first result will show the name. It does not let you leave it empty. Whether is version 3 or 4. There’s a way you can get into the settings file and and remove it completely. However when you do tracert it shows: .lan 192.168.8.1

So we are using the Routers to work remotely. As VPN if at some pining IT what’s to do some check up they might know the router type and know we are abroad.

Reboot the devices & clear all device DNS cache.

1 Like

As a person from the IT department, I can tell you that there are far better ways to find out if someone is working abroad…

1 Like

Completely agree. However, the one I’m dealing with perform a tracert as a Standart procedure. I’m trying to dodge that.

1 Like

Do they trace from your PC? Do you have admin permissions?

Well. We are using their company computers and they can remote at anytime. And perform the trace.

I’m sure they might perform other test. However that’s the one for the moment I want to cover from.

And you are not allowed to use GL.iNet devices or what’s the point? An reverse DNS entry does not tell anything. You could just disable DNS on the router and use Cloudflare, for example.

A reverse DNS entry for a local IP address is not unique. Depending on the DNS resolver, completely different values are output.

I would not worry about this at all. As I said: Deactivate DNS on the router and only use DNS on your end device directly, then there will be no more reverse DNS. Of course, you won’t be able to access local services such as a NAS or similar.

Your IT department can also simply look at the MAC address of the router if they are really interested. Then they will know immediately what is going on.

oh… If its for reverse lookups you want to go here:

Luci → network → edit the wan interface → Hostname to send when requesting DHCP

Set this to: do not sent hostname, in case you leak wan to them from the vpn or as dhcp client if such thing ever happens.

Then you go to:

Luci → system → system

And leave hostname blank.

console.gl-inet.com is only served from your local dhcp server and dns and does not end in other zones.

Also you might want to change your mac addresses to because the 2 first octets are vendor identification :grin:

4 Likes

Please tell me more, and what we have to take care if we would like to hide the fact that we are abroad with a VPN.
Cheers

How does the default hostname indicate you are working abroad?

There was a company from someone I know they check on the computer and once the ran a tracer and came back with the Glinet host and glinet name on the router they knew he was using a VPN even though we had him set up with a residential IP

1 Like

Your IT department can also simply look at the MAC address of the router if they are really interested. Then they will know immediately what is going on.

Then simply use the MAC Cloning feature, or set to Manual and randomize.

have the OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT AX GL.iNet GL-MT3000 (Beryl AX)

Having the same problem I got everything removed but the router-983275fc92a83c98a297dc9ccc93 [192.168.8.1]

Try to change here

0c16f08a29aae54ab639195140c641f9

What file is that? Know I have to do it via Lucy I guess or ssh?

Can you provide the location to try?

Thanks.