Router broadcast not working for magic packets

I’m having problem getting a wake-on-lan (WOL) magic packet to my PC from the outside.
I can wake up my sleeping PC from another computer on the LAN by using a WOL broadcasting tool, so my PC is configured for WOL properly. However when I use a WOL tool to send the magic packet to my router’s internet IP address, the PC does not wake up.

The router is BrumeW. Here is my broadcast port forward on the router:

(note my LAN is x.x.64.x, not the default 8)

What am I doing wrong?
Is the broadcast using x.x.x.255 supported in the port forwarding config like you see above? Seems like it’s not working.

I thought maybe my ISP could be blocking UDP magic packets, but sending it to the router IP locally from the LAN and sending it to the router external IP address both do not work, so it looks like a problem with the router broadcast capability?

Could you send a magic packets captured by wireshark or tcpdump to me?
If it includes sensitive data, please use a private message.

Hi @hansome, I can tell you that I can see evidence of the packets received by the router by looking at the Chain GL_SPEC_OPENING in LuCy. Every time I send a magic packet from the outside the packet counter increments. That tells me the packets go through, yet they do not get broadcasted to my LAN.

I’ve never used wireshark or tcpdump and I’m not advanced enough to do things at the command line, so I would need some time to figure it out. If you could give me some quick instructions on what needs to be done, I can try it.

If the magic packets is like here “wol.pcap”,
It should be allowed because it is pure broadcast traffic.

It may be some kind of multicast traffic. refer to this link.
so try the following the command

echo 65528 > /sys/class/net/br-lan/bridge/group_fwd_mask

and then test it locally in from LAN at first.

To capture traffic at LAN side with tcpdump command in BrumeW’s terminal:

opkg update
opkg install tcpdump
tcpdump -i br-lan -s0 -n ether src xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is your the source mac of the magic packets.
Can you share me the WOL broadcasting tool, I can test it at my side.