Router Settings for Starlink- Slow Speeds

Hi- I have a GL-MT3000 connected to a starlink dishy v3 and PoE. When I plug in the starling provided router, I am getting 30-40MBPS download speeds through 110V in my RV. I converted to 12v and am running the MT3000, which is only yielding 1-2MBPS. Is there a configuration on the router I can change to help increase speeds?

1 Like

I’m having the exact same issues. Getting ~100Mb/s on starlink through an inverter but only 2 through my GL-STF12000

Checking with ethtool on the WAN port, I can see that it’s negotiating 100 Mb/s

Settings for eth0.2:
Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Link partner advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
Link partner advertised pause frame use: No
Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Link partner advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 100Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: MII
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
Link detected: yes

Just to check, you’re running the same setup as me, with 48V into a PoE injector into starlink and the router?

Sorry I can’t help, but have some solidarity

Welcome to the forum. I believe you issue is different that OP. You issue is a known issue and there are other threads on this forum discussion failed negotiation with Starlink. Have a look around and see if they are of any help. There is a search function in the upper right corner of the forum.

Thanks for the reply!

I don’t believe so, I’ve got fine negotiation with starlink. Just slow (1-2 Mbs speeds) when running on 12v through my opal, compared to the ~120 Mbs I get through the official router.

I’ve searched through for forums and couldn’t find a resolution for this specific issue.

If I’m mistaken then I’m happy to be corrected!

I say that because it is connected at 100mbps. Is it only a 100mbps port on the opal? I don’t own one of those. I will have to do some research on that model.

When you say it is running on 12v, what do you mean here? You have 12v hooked up to the USB-C (bad) or you are running the power supply off the inverter? If an inverter, it is a pure sine wave or modified sine wave inverter?


Sorry for the confusion, I’ll list out my exact setup.

12v DC battery bank
Step down DC transformer to 5v usb-c connected to opal
Starlink via a 48volt step up and a PoE injector
Ethernet cable from starlink connected to WAN port of opal.

With this setup I’m getting speeds around 10x slower than with the official starlink setup (not using the opal)

I might has mistakenly posted my ethtool output, from searching the forums I saw that it’s recommended to limit the wan interface speed to 100Mbs with starlink if you’re seeing slow speeds, so I thought it might help OP.

1 Like

I don’t know the answer, I keep looking at doing a 12v conversion for mine in my RV but just keep going back to the easier solution - run off the RV batteries / inverter if I don’t have shore power and keep the Starlink router in bypass. I know there was a bit of kit you needed that seemed to potentially have high failure rates (transformers - hard to know which ones are good and which are not if you don’t trust amazon reviews) and other pieces were expensive as well. Just couldn’t really justify it as Starlink is my second best choice for internet with camping right now. It stays paused until I am somewhere with no cell service (I wish this were a more frequent problem lol). Please keep this thread updated if you find a solution and I would greatly appreciate a little more info on the hardware particulars and stability once you get it there.

I would assume that for Starlink different MTU values might be required.

I will test this next time I activate Starlink.

@psm513 I’ve noticed a vast improvement of my starlink speeds by disabling NAT/hardware acceleration on the router (as suggested by GL inet support). Maybe try that?

This is in Network → Network Acceleration in the admin panel

@packetmonkey I’ve had one transformer/PoE injector fail on me in the year I’ve been using 12v SL, and that was user error on my end by shorting the cables (the connectors on the PoE I use have a tendency to fall out), this incident also killed my old router, hence moving to an Opal.

Apart from that it’s working perfectly! I work remotely and have 0 issues with calls etc using it.

Basic setup uses the stuff recommended by a lot of blogs/youtube channels, though if I could afford it and was doing it from scratch I would probably use the new stuff that doesn’t involve cutting and splicing the cable.

As far as stability, as long as you’re not under trees I have no issues. Even with the motor cable disconnected and my dish mounted flat on my roof.

Thanks for the follow up @mattbodey. I am working on converting away from some of my power bricks for my “office” in the RV, and this is on the list (low priority since I don’t have to use SL much). GL sent me the 12v adapter for my Spitz, so I need to get moving on it so I can send them pics and details.