Selecting the Best Router for Optimizing Site-to-Site VPN Performance in Remote Work and Travel

Hello,
I’m looking to establish a site-to-site VPN connection as I work remotely and require a French IP address while abroad. To achieve this, I purchased a GL.inet OPAL router, connected it to my main router at home, and set up a WireGuard server. Initial testing using my phone’s cellular internet showed promising results, but I’m encountering performance issues:

1. Through my main router, I achieve approximately 380Mb/s.
  2. When connecting the OPAL router to my main router via Ethernet, speeds drop to around 140Mb/s.
  3. Directly linking the OPAL router to the internet via ONT (I have fiber optic) still results in speeds around 140MB/s.
  4. Testing with the WireGuard client app on my phone yields around 50Mb/s, (I know a limitation of the OPAL router).

My main concern is optimizing performance for my specific use case. I’m considering which router would best suit my needs for both home and travel. Initially, I was contemplating the Flint for home use and the Beryl for travel. However, upon comparing specifications, I noticed that the Beryl boasts superior speed compared to the Flint, which has left me uncertain.

Ultimately, my goal is to maintain the 380Mb/s throughput achieved by my main router, whether with the GL.inet routers or another suitable option. Any guidance on selecting the most suitable router for my requirements would be greatly appreciated.

For home (vpn server), you can select

• MT2500 Brume 2, no wifi
  • AX1800 Flint 1
  • AXT1800 Slate AX
  • MT3000 Beryl AX

For travel

• AXT1800 Slate AX
  • MT3000 Beryl AX

All of these can provide good Wireguard vpn speed.

But pls note, your vpn speed is capped by the ISP upload speed. Pls check if it is 50Mbps in your case!

Hello,
Thank you for your response. Regarding the confusion between Flint and Beryl for home and travel use, it seems that Flint is typically designed as a home router but may have lower speeds compared to Beryl. is that correct ?
As I mentioned, my ISP provides a download and upload speed of 380Mb/s. However, when I connected the Opal router directly to the internet (without the intermediate main router), I experienced speeds of around 140Mb/s. To avoid this issue with the new router I plan to purchase, I aim to replace my ISP router with a GL.inet router permanently and I want to maintain the full speed provided by my ISP.
In summary, my goal is to ensure that the new router maximizes my ISP’s provided speed and also maintains high speeds while using a VPN for travel purposes.

For OpenVPN, Flint is slower than Beryl.

But for Wiregaurd, Flint is faster.

This is because openvpn runs on one core while Wireguard runs on Multiple cores.

For home, pls select Flint 1 or Flint 2.

Yes, indeed. While I’ve observed that WireGuard performs better than OpenVPN in terms of VPN speed on the Flint router comparaison, I can’t help but notice the disparity in Wi-Fi speeds between Flint and Beryl. Flint boasts Wi-Fi speeds of 600Mbps (2.4GHz) and 1200Mbps (5GHz), whereas Beryl offers 574Mbps (2.4GHz) and 2402Mbps (5GHz). This has raised some concerns for me.

As I mentioned earlier, my primary goal is to replace my current router with one from GL.inet that best meets my performance needs, particularly in maintaining the speed I currently receive from my ISP.

I have a few questions regarding the Flint router:

• Will using the Flint router preserve the initial speed provided by my ISP (380Mb/s in download and upload) ? I want to link directly to fiber optic using the ONT.
  • Is the Flint router compatible with a fiber optic connection, considering I have the ONT device?

It is a YES to both of your questions.

Just one thing, when you change your main router to a new one, the ONT modem may not be happy to access the new device that with a new MAC address right away.

The solution is the reboot the modem, or wait longer, or clone the old router’s mac address to the new router.

Got it. So, to summarize:
The Flint router will serve as my main router and should maintain the same internet speed (even in term of wifi speed is lower then Beryl !?) provided by my ISP (unlike the Opal router, which only provided 140Mb/s). For traveling purposes, I’ll opt for the Beryl router to maximize VPN speed with WireGuard !!
As for the fiber optic connection. I just need to reboot the ONT or clone the router’s MAC address. There’s no need to execute any commands on OpenWrt to establish the connection ? that I have seen in formus, such as:

• uci set network.wan.vendorid=neufbox_NB6VAC-XXX
  • uci commit network
  • luci-reload

I cannot answer this question. Pls find out your ISP settings on your current router.

Thank you for your assistance. I’ve bought the router you recommended, and I’ll reach out if I require any further help.

1 Like

sorry one last question,
is better to get the Flint 1 and replace my current router, or get MT2500 Brume 2 and link it to my main router to set up the vpn server

Because I have seen that : " Offloading VPN duties to a dedicated device like the Brume 2 can reduce the load on your main router, potentially improving performance for other network tasks."
What do you think about that is better to get the Flint 1 and replace my current router, or get MT2500 Brume 2 and link it to my main router to set up the vpn server

What is your current router?

Hello
This my box : NB6VAC-FXC-r0

Seems this is a ISP provided xDSL modem so you’d better keep it. Just add one MT2500 as server.

Yes I get it from my ISP.
So it will be better to keep it instead of replacing it with the flint 1 ?!

And what is better flint 1 or MT2500 , if I want to keep the ISP router, And then connect it to my ISP router ?

I’d connect the Brume 2 behind the NB6VAC-FXC-r0 if you can port forward.

Okay
Yes I can do port forwarding.
And when I see the comparison with the flint and brume I see that flint is more performant.
So could please inlight me and tell me why the brume 2 is better for my case ?

Can you replace your isp router?

Because you have wifi already and you can only add one vpn box. MT2500 Brume 2 is small and has no wifi. In this case, it is easier to do.

Yes I can replace it, and that what I thought doing with the flint 1 :confused: