Set DDNS to return IPv6?

For testing purposes.

I have an ipv6 address; looks like DDNS is returning ipv4 in my WG app on IOS.

Can I configure it to return ipv6 first / only ?

Not sure if DDNS will ever be IPv6 but you can try to get the IPv6 entry by requesting the AAAA record instead of the A record.

—-
And IPv6 will only work if your device has IPv6 as well. So it depends on the device.

DDNS is a service, that allows with a short TTL to map a changing private IP to a static hostname.
There is no reason why any DDNS shouldn’t be able to serve AAAA (IPv6) records instead of A (IPv4) records.

But this is up to the company/person who provides the DDNS service.
When we are talking about GL-iNet, maybe they will provide this function in future. Let’s wait for an official answer.

If you’d like to use another provider, maybe https://dynv6.com/ is your solution.

As there are enough available IPv6 addresses for every device, it would make no sense to adding them dynamically. But as many people don’t like change, I assume we’ll stick with NAT and dynamic address assignments some time.

1 Like

Looks like Im going down another rabbit hole here :slight_smile:

@LupusE looks like GL DDNS supports IPV6 but it is not working correctly; it says addresses don’t match and they don’t but they should.
It is weird because they match 99%; just 3 letter seem off looks like a bug. attached is a screenshot and trust me everything after is the SAME it is just that one has one 0 and the other 0000; should be only 1 but DDNS return 4 zeros.

Is there a bug in GL DDNS ? see screen

@admon If I do AAAA lookup I get the WAN IP address with single 0

Im guessing the correct one should be the Interface address and there is a bug in router software display then ? because AAAA returns correct one… weird ? What to trust here ?

Ultimately I would like to try to get this Wireguard VPN SERVER running with IPV6 so I can get away with CGNAT. I understand there is no real need for DDNS with IPV6 but we never know; could change so DDNS could be great to return IPV6 since it is already aware of the ipv6 anyway.

Okay, this can really a bug.

At least, because the IPv6 standard says leading 0 can be ignored, and only zeros can be omitted.
So this should be all the same:

1234:0000:0000:cafe:0012:0000:1a2b:1c2d
1234:0:0:cafe:12:0:1a2b:1c2d
1234::cafe:12:0:1a2b:1c2d

This needs a regex in for a validity check. I can imagine a bug in here.

Would not call it a bug, could be IPv6 prefix delegation. Depends on the ISP.
Mostly you will not get just 1 IPv6 address but a whole subnet.

Can’t confirm that since I don’t use IPv6

Actually now getting another IPV6 address (completely different) with DDNS and interface address still the same. What is going on with this DDNS ?
Does VPN client has to do with this ? it should not right ? DDNS should always return interface wan ip right ?

FYI: IPv6 DDNS is supported OOTB when using OpenWrt, ddns provider dependant, of course:

root@flint:~# opkg list-installed | grep ddns
ddns-scripts - 2.8.2-12
ddns-scripts-services - 2.8.2-12
luci-app-ddns - git-21.187.20976-699b7f0

(OWRT on RPi when, @uppppppp ? :wink: )

Would we go a little more in detail, what is the solution here?
A different IPv6 address of the same IPv6 subnet is assigned?

I’d like to join in, but my provider doesn’t support IPv6 right now. I am begging since 3 years, because the mother company does… That’s why I am very interested in this. My LAN is already IPv6.

Well, I can’t tell you what the solution in this case is, since I don’t have IPv6 to play around with.
I would assume that the DDNS address might not be the WAN address but the WAN network instead. Or maybe it’s the IPv6 privacy addon. It’s just a guess.

Since the router will do the routing then, this could/should be fine, I guess.