Setting up a Home Wireguard VPN with a dynamic, nonpublic IP address

Hey everyone,

I’m trying to follow this guide: WireGuard Server - GL.iNet Router Docs 3

I have two GL-inet routers (GL-SFT1200 and GL-SF1200) and I want to have one as the client and one as the server. However, under the “If your public IP address is dynamic” section, it says to put your endpoint as the DDNS address, but in the “Make sure Internet Service Provider assigns you a public IP address” section, it says to use AstroRelay and use the astrorelay “access” link that you create as the endpoint of your Wireguard client. Does anyone have any experience in how to get around an IP that is not public in addition to a dynamic IP?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Jomp,

I have not got too much experience with the new fangled Wireguard, but hopefully the below will help.

With OpenVPN, if you enable DDNS on the GL inet box, when you download the config file it will use the DDNS hostname, provided by GL-INET DNS servers.
If you are using double NAT, it does not work but there are alternatives, I used DuckDNS and added DDNS for it in OpenWRT, that worked well when my OpenVPN was terminated on a router double NAT’ted.

Assuming you GL-INET is connected to the Internet:
In Applications Dynamic DNS, enable DNS agree the Terms and Conditions, and note the DNS name GL-Inet have given you:

When I go to export my client config under OpenVPN server, I get the option to export using the DDNS entry. I am hoping Wireguard behaves the same!

Hope this helps
Simon

1 Like