Slate AX - MicroSD Card not detected or mounted at all

Hi All,

Hoping I can get some help if possible! Really hoping I don’t have to replace the device because other than this, huge fan. It’s my first GL-iNet device.

Running:

OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r16399+159-c67509efd7

Attempting to use the MicroSD slot in my brand new Slate AX. I’ve attempted to insert it with the router powered off and then boot afterwards - in this case there’s no detection at all.

When I try to hotplug it, I receive the following in dmesg:

dmesg output:

[ 1600.514007] mmc0: mmc_rescan_try_freq: reset power

block info output:

/dev/mtdblock13: UUID="69dbe3ab-10ec0727-ecb08a20-14ad390f" VERSION="4.0" MOUNT="/rom" TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/mtdblock9: UUID="434930875" VERSION="1" TYPE="ubi"
/dev/ubi0_2: UUID="be488d62-f182-4a7b-b065-4c3db08c22ff" VERSION="w4r0" MOUNT="/overlay" TYPE="ubifs"

There’s no additional devices listed in /dev/ when it’s inserted, and Disk Management on the Network Storage tab shows:

No Device Detected

The MicroSDXC card is 64GB only and currently formatted to ext4 however have also tried FAT32. The card is detected fine in my MacBook.

Thanks in advance!

Try running the block detect command in SSH. Try the NTFS format.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

No difference using NTFS unfortunately. Exact same symptoms. No /dev/sd* or /dev/mmc* devices present.

block detect shows:

config 'global'
	option	anon_swap	'0'
	option	anon_mount	'0'
	option	auto_swap	'1'
	option	auto_mount	'1'
	option	delay_root	'5'
	option	check_fs	'0'

Faulty SD card slot?

Other options to try are to reset to factory/set up fresh and to upgrade/downgrade the firmware.

Hello!

I remember sometimes when formatting a USB stick in EXT4 I had to specify the cluster size as 4096 (I think it was the default option in DiskGenius) and then my AR750S Slate and AR750 Creta would positively recognize the USB stick to do /overlay. Otherwise, there was no USB stick inserted into the router. Could it be related to this?
Bye.

Do y ou have other MicroSD card to try?

@wcs2228 - thanks for this. Multiple factory resets done already to no avail, firmware upgrade to latest beta has been tested, will try a firmware downgrade to and older stable version tonight after work when I don’t need the connection. Appreciate your time.

@David - thank you also for the suggestion. Gave that a go but also no luck - possibly because (as I just learned!) sector sizes in SD Cards appear to be fixed.

@alzhao - Thanks for the response. I don’t have a spare MicroSD card at the moment - travelling for work and working in a remote location. Trying an alternative MicroSD was going to be my last resort since it’s not easy to get one right now :slight_smile: but if the firmware downgrade tonight doesn’t work then I will test that.

Do you have a confirmed working brand etc? Just so I can rule dodgy cards out - would a SanDisk Extreme Pro 512GB microSDXC or Sandisk High Endurance 512GB microSDXC work? Assuming it’s a card issue.

try exfat if you haven’t already, I have an old sandisk 8gb in my slateax that works fine.

I do not think the brand matters and you had confirmed the microSD card works in a MacBook. I have different brands (Kingston, SanDisk, Lexar, Verbatim) and they all work in all my devices, even the cheap ones. The premium models (Extreme Pro, High Endurance) may give a little better transfer speed, but probably not that much. I always format to NTFS, which always works for me in all my GL.iNet routers.