Slow speed with OpenVPN

Hi,

I have an account with [Private Internet Access]. I use the default VPN config provided [here / download] (US-East specifically).

If I use those VPN configs directly on my computer, I get about 25mpbs, which is the max of my cable connection. When I use the same configs on the Router (MT300N), I only get about 6mbps. The default config already use UDP. Any idea of what could be the issue?

Thanks.

PS: I’m on 2.261, but I had the same issue with 2.5

Hi,

6Mpbs is normal for this mini router.

It cannot compete with your PC for speed. The PC cpu is so powerful and could easily achieve 100Mbps when using openvpn.

Mmm. Interesting. I had not considered CPU. I tried the same config with a cipher of “none” though, and still was limited to around 6mb. I get full speed without VPN.

I get ~6.3mbps with openvpn (UDP,AES-128) with MT300N-2 in WISP repeater mode. The openVPN server is an RT-N66U running Tomato which is CPU bound around ~15mbps.

“alzhao FEBRUARY 1, 2017 AT 11:30 PM #44266
@opticon12000, I am testing our new device which can output 30mbps openvpn now. Hope to get it on market middle 2017.”

Any updates on the new device? I might replace both ends.

6mb is not all that bad. It works ok for casual browsing. I wish I could bump it up a bit by tweaking the vpn config, but looks like that might not work.

Either way, thanks both for the help :slight_smile:

@JL, thanks for being OK with 6Mbps.

@Craig, I have some dev boards now. Working on the software and mold.

I’ve activated SQM on tun0 with a 5mbit limit and it works surprisingly well even when web browsing along with 2 or 3 video streams, but more would be better.

My wish list for the 30mbit device:

1. isn't huge (<3x MT300N)
  2. still works off 5v (anything <=2A is fine)
  3. 2 radios so it can repeat on different frequencies (I'd rather avoid USB wifi)
  4. Gigabit Ethernet (2+ ports)
  5. Multi-colored internal LED
  6. Fanless (or passive heatsink case option)
  7. Has Cake qdisc in default firmware
  8. Has option in GLi-Net gui to configure SQM bandwidth on tun0 to start with OpenVPN
  9. case option that would accept user replaceable 18650 batteries (even if it was an optional extra, or a separate battery case that connects!)
  10. Looks like a USB charger so people don't know its a router (for airplanes etc).
  11. Is a USB charger as well - for phone etc.
  12. Flat top (like GL-iNet 6416)

1 Like
  1. isn’t huge (<3x MT300N), it is bigger than 3xMT300N
  2. still works off 5v (anything <=2A is fine), sorry it is 12V
  3. 2 radios so it can repeat on different frequencies (I’d rather avoid USB wifi), Yes
  4. Gigabit Ethernet (2+ ports) Yes
  5. Multi-colored internal LED, We prefer one color
  6. Fanless (or passive heatsink case option), no fan
  7. Has Cake qdisc in default firmware, should have
  8. Has option in GLi-Net gui to configure SQM bandwidth on tun0 to start with OpenVPN, maybe we will add
  9. case option that would accept user replaceable 18650 batteries (even if it was an optional extra, or a separate battery case that connects!), difficult
  10. Looks like a USB charger so people don’t know its a router (for airplanes etc). no way. If it looks like having a battery, that is great trouble for shipping
  11. Is a USB charger as well – for phone etc. Yes
  12. Flat top (like GL-iNet 6416), NO

Sorry for that the answer may not what you need. It is a big router, size around 12x12cm. Because the gigabit and ac, its size is big.

It is not a travel router.

I am thinking how to make a small travel router with powerful cpu. Maybe the hardware specs will be very different.

@alzhao

Will the new device be AR based or MT? i’ve noticed that the AR300M is significantly faster w. OpenVPN than my MT300A

From my test, AR300M is around 20% faster than MT300A, that is not significant.

The said new device is based on Qualcomm ARM.

Would like something with a cryptographic accelerator for AES on board (or USB dongle)

and support for DNScrypt / DNSSEC in GUI (like Tomato)

Also want to buy inexpensive devices which can run pfSense, like SG-1000 microfirewall but with better OpenVPN performance (is 50 mb/s achievable in a travel router or a product that costs < US $100 ?)

@BLi, what is the openvpn encryption speed of SG-1000?

what is the openvpn encryption speed of SG-1000?
I could give you some preliminary results, but I do not have time to test a competitor's product for you if you dont have time to provide support for your defective firmware:

https://www.gl-inet.com/forums/topic/all-lan-traffic-disabled-after-reboot-gl-ar300m/#post-166891

@BLi, the forum is open discussion and we hope to benefit each other in the discussion. We don’t need to test other product for us but if you did, that data could benefit us and others and we appreciated.

Just replied your another post. You can just bring up a post if it is missed.

Hi,

New to Gli.inet and super happy to have bought the AR300M. Also excited to see a new device that can output 30mbps. Does that apply to PPTP as well? I am not currently using OpenVPN (I know I should) but just haven’t got around yet. Which protocol would achieve more speed - OpenVPN or PPTP or just depends on my ISP? I know OpenVPN is more secured. Thanks.

PPTP will achieve far more speed. But it is not secure.

I am also using PIA OpenVPN files on the GL-AR750, and only getting 3-4 mbps, when using it on my PC I get 30-40 mbps. I am using 2.27 firmware. Any help?

Heh. FWIW, I’ve been bringing a WWAN router (iDrive WiFi hard drive) onto planes for 3 years now- use it so I can share the onboard WiFi onto all my devices and only have to pay once. Nobody’s ever said a word. :slight_smile:

@alzhao, I’d seen in another thread/forum (maybe on here?) that just changing the build config on the OpenVPN stack to use SoC-specific SIMD instructions (“Neon”/“VFP”/etc.) for the crypto engines was enough to speed the VPN thruput- are y’all looking into that?

I didn’t had a change to see this post. Can you find the link?

Google can show me some links but not sure if that is what you mean.