Slow Speeds on Opal (GL-SFT1200)

I love this router especially with the usage of Openwrt and like the ability to add the features I like with it. The modification aspect of this router is amazing, but I need help. I pay for 500Mbps Down and 20Mbps Up. My main router (TP-Link AX32; and yes, it is a Wi-Fi 6 router and I understand this one is AC Wi-Fi 5 but either way it should still be giving up upwards of 480 to 530 Down.) gets us 580Mbps Down and 23Mbps Up using Wi-Fi at a distance I don’t expect to get those kinds of speeds while on Wi-Fi using the Opal, but I only get 140Mbps down and 23mbps up. I have category 8 ethernet cables and I’ve tried using the included cat6 cable to connect the router to the modem and standing right next to the router and I still only get 140Mbps or lower Downstream.

I have reset the router and messed with the configuration and even tried upgrading and downgrading but it is always the same. Idk if I am doing something wrong or what I need to do. The router says it can handle up to 800+ Mbps Down on the 5GHz Band and I get nothing near my speeds. I don’t expect to get the same results as my main router, but I at least am looking for around 480 - 530 Mbps Down. Please help me out, Thanks!

In the router’s client list page, can you check if you have real-time data statistics enabled?

Also let me know the firmware version?

Hi, can you try the following methods to improve WIFI speed?

1. Login webgui-Wireless- Find the 5G WIFI menu and change the WIFI channel to a fixed channel,
  2. Disable 5G WIFI of TP-Link AX32 when testing WIFI speed with speedtest.

I have real-time data statistics off

Firmware Version 3.215

Yeah, I used a Wi-Fi analyzer to select an empty channel and while testing the speeds I had my main router off so to not interfere with my tests.

I dunno what to do. Maybe my device is defective or something??

can you post the wifi configuration on SFT1200? Want to check the channel and other settings, e.g. bandwidth.

^ image

Also for the channel settings I used a wifi analyzer and selected the channel manually and when testing the speed I am right next to the router and usually get at most around 140 - 150 mbps down while normally it is supposed to be 500+ or atleast 480Mbps and up

The config seems ok.
What is the speed from WAN to LAN?
Do you have any other wifi device to test speed?

I get 350 - 480+ Mbps download on lan (tested on laptop and desktop but the speeds jump around) and wifi I only get like 140 - 150 on iPhone and laptop

I would think on lan I’d get upwards of 500 - 570 Mbps but idk. On control panel (laptop) it says the connection is 1Gbps for the lan speed so I don’t think its the port nor cable

sorry I had to edit my msg since the test on laptop I did wasn’t working the first time. I was still on wifi but yeah. Lan to the router when the router is connected to my modem I get around 350 to 480 Mbps down

What is the speed of 2.4G WIFI?

Can you try moving around 10 feet/3 meters away from the router? Also, try a speedtest with the channel bandwidth set to 40MHz, instead of 80MHz.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

It’s around 80 Mbps down.

I tried the comment below standing a bit farther from the router now and it went up to 110+ Mbps down

I tried that rn and I got the same speed but at a higher average.

Test 1: 162 Down & 23 Upload
Test 2: 153 Down & 23 Upload
Test 3: 161 Down & 22 Upload

ok so I am having exactly the same issue, tried every possible setting. Have you found a fix?

1 Like

I have the a Router GL SF1200, but have the same problem.

According to your page i should get until 300 Mpbs as max. My ISP provide my 170 Mpbs, I can get while use my cable connection, but in my Android 13 Poco x3 pro, when i try do the same test connection that in my pc, In my android phone, I only get 80-100 Mpbs aprox

My config:
image|568x500, 75%

Model: GL SF1200
Current Version: 3.215
Compile Time: 2022-09-21 11:49:06

Architecture MIPS sf19a28
Firmware Version OpenWrt 18.06 r0-d5ed025 / LuCI openwrt-18.06 branch (git-18.228.31946-f64b152)
Kernel Version 4.14.90

The key word on the GL.iNet webpage is “Max”. Nearly all 2.4GHz wifi routers advertise Max 300 Mbps, but few or none reach that in real life situations. To me, 80-100 Mbps is good because I generally only get 20-30 Mbps over 2.4GHz wifi, depending on wireless band congestion, distance, obstructions, etc.

Are you able to switch over to 5GHz wifi, which should give much higher speed?

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet