Slow speeds through GL-AX1800

I’m getting much slower than expected speeds through my GL-AX1800; about 50Mbps up and down. When I connect directly to the office network via ethernet, skipping the GL-AX1800, I get about 230Mbps up and down.

I’m connected to the router via ethernet, and the router is connected to our office network also over ethernet. The only potential issue is double NAT due to the office network, but I’ve used other routers in this configuration and gotten suitable performance.

The GL-AX1800 is running the latest firmware: 3.213.

Any suggestions?

So WAN to LAN only have 50Mbps?

Can you change cable and check again? Generally such problem is because of the cable.

Okay, I tried again with all new cables, but it didn’t help.

When I run the speed-test app, it starts out close to what I’d expect, around 200+ Mbps. Then it gradually drops to almost exactly 50 Mbps and holds steady there. This is true both upstream and downstream, and it’s very consistent. It also is consistent whether connected to the AX1800 over ethernet or wifi.

It’s almost like traffic shaping or something similar is happening, restricting the throughput to exactly 50Mbps.

Screenshot is attached.
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 10.17.37 AM

It does seem like traffic shaping. Is it feasible for you to test the GL-AX1800 speed when directly to an Internet modem either in the office or at home?

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Sorry I have no clue.

New bugs fixed in this firmware AX1800 beta firmware 3.214 issues - #4 by hansome

Guys reported that the cpu load is dropped. Maybe you can just try?

Yes, I’ll take it home and see if that changes anything.

In the mean time I did a factory reset using the reset button to see if that would help. It didn’t help the throughput at all; still 50Mbps steady. But to make matters worse, no WiFi devices will connect. Or rather, devices can connect and immediately disassociate. This is after a fresh reset.

For now I’ve put an old AirPort Extreme in its place. Now I’m getting consistent 200+ Mbps up & down, and wifi devices are all connecting reliably.

I have a new GL-AX1800 on order in hopes this one is having hardware issues. We’ll see if the new one is any more trouble free.

1 Like