Slow wifi on Flint AX1800

okay so I have wifi on nother laptop thats the same, so it rules out the m1 max configuration, its the wifi settings, they where fine no change but the beta updates to the newest release 6 or whatever it is as of now for the ax1800 flint, fix this please

Thank you - im not the only one then.
I tried on asus windows laptop, apple macbook pro, iphone 12 and alienware laptop. Same issue slow wifi after 4.x firmware update.

1 Like

aye, the team here will fix it i reckon, there are enough bringing it up:) I tried all the TX settings nothing changes it, it will hve to be a FW update by looks of it

Hi, could you have a try to set “Wi-Fi Security” to “OPEN” and “Wi-Fi Mode” to "11a/n/ac"to test if it’s hw issue.
and please run command:

iwinfo wlan0 asso

to get some info about wifi station.

i just did - same issue - this is more of a firmware issue - not hardware.

Please try to fix the channel to 36, and not too near from ax1800 flint.

ok my pervious setting thts carried over the last 4 or 5 betas it no longer selectable, CH61 is gone in standard or luci settings

also in luci ifi select AX and any of the channels it saves and disables the antenna, its a Firmware issue please fix asap

ch 36 or any them do not change anything I’m afraid, thank you though, we need those wifi speeds unlimiting please they are bad with high latency now

It may be the TX power thats glitched as In luci once set to max transmiting power I can only choose

• Current power: 24 dBm

as the max output, but if i choose the max setting 100mw it fails to connect

this seems to be part of the issue

4.1.0 release 6 broke download speed fine upload

4.1.0 release 5 broke download speed fine upload

4.1.0 release stable release: broke download speed fine upload

download is not climbing over 360meg upload not really climbing over 660 area

before at an unknown configuration and time the D&U it was 720 -800 mbps symmetrical, in the same room same scenario

this is on a connection that over ethernet is 990meg symmetrical, so interferance isnt an issue it feels like the transmission is weaker than it says but I tried to somewhat rule that out by going as close as to the device and this offered no changes.

The transmission rate maximum under some configurations seems to only be 24dsBm 251mw now too, this seems to me to be a common sense reason why the peed is slower but I’m not a software guy

I have ruled out the computer by connecting my old router, I get the expected 750-800 symetrical bandwith over WIFI, and on ethernet I get 990 symmetrical, So somewhere along the lines here in the last two months my speed has dropped to the point I noticed the other day, now this is a problem as the Transmission rate (as its displayed in luci) is 1200, this should be more than enough to give 700 Meg at least, and I wont settle for any less than that, at the moment my other router is faster than this although the TX rate says otherwise while connected, this is clearly a maximum that not being saturated as all other substantiating factors are constants.

I purchased this router for its speed and versatility, but the speed is now lacking, if we could have this fixed it would be much appreciated.

Yep firmware issue with 4.x
For now ill be reverting to 3.x and wait until this is fixed.
Also would be nice to report this somewhere as official issue on 4.X and not a forum post.

1 Like

I received a replacement router (same flint) from amazon
This time i upgrade to version 4.x using “uboot” from this guide:

For some reason the router was flashing blue for like 1 hour and wouldn’t stop - so i just unplugged and plugged it back in to see if it actually upgrade…and it did.

This time, my wifi is back to normal speeds! im guessing the best way to upgrade from 3.x to 4.x is with Uboot and not via the control panel.

check my wifi speed now: (this is is latest firmware 4.x)

2 Likes

Thanks for the report.

So your issue is fixed with a new product.
But we still think the problem is the firmware and are investigating more.

Hi there my device is not new but one of the first ones that came out … it was doing great till the last 2 updates wifi has just tanked in speed and so has the VPN (wireguard torguard) output for some bizzare reason. I have done a clean sweep and install with no setting but that does NOT seem to help at all, on a positive not use a LAN cable speeds are fantastic

This report is amazing, ill try this soon in the next few days, got a release for work to focus on tuen when i can ill start fresh

Seems to be a Openwrt issue affecting multiple brands.

Evergreen.

Cutting edge product support - especially wifi drivers and acceleration - are notoriously bad on OpenWRT. It took years for the mt76 line to even be usable. It usually takes a couple of years for these products to be stable using open source drivers, which is actually kind of a selling point for the gl-infra-builder model at least in the interim.

That said, after playing around with the various build chains for the ipq6018 in both the Flint and Slate AX (both the infra-builder and elsewhere), I am not encouraged about the short term stability or long term software support for either platform. The qsdk everyone is using is very picky in terms of it’s build environment. It’s telling that everyone is using the 4.4.60 kernel in releases, as far as I’ve seen, and even then running in armv7 compatibility mode. You can (sort of) get the 5.4 build to compile, but it’s slower (by about 30% in my testing) than the 4.4. Not a good sign.

Given the lack of interest in porting the 8000 series code to the 6000 series in OpenWRT main, and given that many other manufacturers skipped the 6000 series in their product lines, I suspect it’s going to be a long road before that chipset is supported, and even when it is supported I doubt it will match the raw speed of the accelerated qsdk builds, at least while the hardware remains relevant.

(and to be very clear, this is not a reflection on GL-iNet or their developers - I am certain they’d like to fix these issues. At the same time, what a lot of consumers don’t realize about bugs like these is that the developers often can’t fix them. They exist in someone else’s code, and it’s either not possible to fix, or it would cost more to fix than the company would make fixing it. It’s not a bad business decision to select X chip for a product, but if the company that makes X chip more or less abandons that product line because they’ve moved on to the newest thing, there may not be anything you can do about it.)

3 Likes

I can confirm that Wifi speed has dropped, but the distance increased. Let me explain:
Usually the closer to the Access Point you get the greater the speed. What I have observed is the speed will not change if I am 1-2 meters away but will stay the same as if I am 8-9 meters away. So you get I more constant speed. I was using Perf3 and fast.com

I am also playing with the power settings, as it would appear that a lower power setting is giving me more speed at the same distance.

yeh i hae gone from 750 meg symmetrical to 350 meg symmetrical , its not as snappy now its a bit sluggish this needs fixing like
!