[SOLVED] Cannot Access Beryl AX Webadmin using IP Address assigned by another Router?

I did a search on the forum and in the FAQs, but I cannot find any details on this issue.

The Beryl Network Mode is “Router”. In that mode, the problem is this:

I cannot access the Beryl AX (MT3000) webadmin using the IP Address assigned to it by another Router (An ASUS RT-AX86U).

This is the same for both IP Addresses (192.168.9.222 and 192.168.9.223) , one for an Ethernet connection and one for a Wifi Connection to that Router. The Browser just does says “This site can’t be reached 192.168.9.223 took too long to respond”.

I can access devices on other IP addresses assigned by the Asus Router, both via WebAdmins and via SSH/WinSCP. Without this access I cannot use WinSCP.

Now, I can access the Beryl’s WebAdmin and SSH (using an iOS Terminal App) into it from an iPAD connected to the Wifi of the Beryl AX using the Beryl’s address 192.168.8.1. When I look at the “Network” tab of the GLiNET App, I can see it is assigned an IP Address 192.168.9. 222 (or 223), which is the same address in the ASUS Webadmin. I tried it with the repeater off and again with it on. I tried using 192.168.8.1 from the Windows Browser. No go there either.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I cannot access the Beryl using the Address assigned by my main router?

Thanks!

[EDIT] Solved! It works when the Beryl is in “Access Point” Mode, but not when it is in “Router” Mode.

k.

In router mode you have a WAN side (internet facing) and a LAN side (internal network), with a firewall between them. You are describing a problem accessing the webui from the WAN side. This is by design. Allowing the router itself to be accessed from the internet presents a security issue.

When the Beryl is behind another router that issue is mitigated by the other router’s firewall but it is still a step not to be taken lightly.

1 Like

Great explanation thank you very much; it definitely makes sense from a security standpoint!
Was just a bit frustrated as I was more comfortable using WinSCP (from my PC) in order to modify /etc/config/wireless, than to issue commands via a terminal on my iPAD connected directly to the Beryl’s Wireless. I guess I could add a Wireless Dongle to my PC though and connect using the PC. Next time :-).