Speed limit unit in clients tab

Network speed limits are generally measured in Gbps, Mbps, Kbps, …. The feature is using KB/s as units which is completely counter intuitive.

It seems to work well though, I set 2048 KB/s in the admin page and got:

Which is about correct, yes. But can this feature be made to use more intuitive units?

(This was beta4, can retest with beta8 if needed)

1 Like

Because most applications that need to use high bandwidth use KB/s, MB/s as a unit, e.g. Dropbox, IDM…

What’s your reason for setting a speed limit?

I do not know what other tools do to be honest, but if they are brain damaged, so let them be :slight_smile: They just seem completely unobvious. If I want to set a limit on the bandwidth normally it is to “split” my overall bandwidth in several parts, so I’d expect to use “network speed units” (e.g. Kbps, Mbps, Gbps, …). I am not trying to limit “volume downloaded over a unit of time” (e.g. MB/s, KB/s, GB/s). It’s been a while since I’ve done professional network equipment configuration (only doing “paper” these days…) but I seem to recall both Cisco and Teldat limiting clients using Kbps or Mbps…

Maybe I am the strange guy here and you would like to ask other users?

Thank you for your suggestion.

The reason we use “KB/s” is that the real-time rate need use “KB/s” to be consistent with the applications.
I understand that your use case requires a complete QoS settings, not just speed limit. We plan to add QoS in version 4.2, and the settings of QoS will use “bps”.

4.2 and QoS - I was going to post a enhancement request (as hooks are there already) - below is from 4.0.1b2 on AXT1800

ApNos-0e2bb96a-devel
OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT, r16273+115-378769b555

root@GL-AXT1800:~# uci show qos
qos.general=qos
qos.general.enable='0'
qos.general.model='cake'
qos.general.upload='1000'
qos.general.download='1000'
qos.general.sum='0'
qos.@wan[0]=wan
qos.@wan[0].upload='1000'
qos.@wan[0].download='1000'