I have a new Spitz AX, the 5G model. It’s given me a lot of trouble, so this is going to be a very long post, but I hope that in providing all the information I can I’ll be able to get some assistance in making this thing not be a brick anymore.
- Spitz Ax + IMEI alteration + phone sim (don’t judge; there are literally no ISPs serving my area for home internet)
- TP-Link Archer C20 in Access Point mode connected via ethernet to Spitz for the device that can’t see Spitz’s wifi
- Invisible Wifi: One device absolutely could not see the 2.4Ghz channel from Spitz AX. It’s a b/g/n laptop, rather old but has never had problems seeing networks on other routers once b/g/n mode was enabled. Except now. I bypassed that issue after trying every imagineable settings change by just using an access point.
- Wifi Connection Issue: Devices that were capable of connecting to the Spitz’s Wifi networks would initially get “connected, cannot provide internet” or whatever the wording (it varied by device). I would have to forget the network, log in again, forget the network, toggle wifi, log in again, forget it again, etc. - up to a dozen times before finally it would connect and be allowed internet access.
- Upgrade Firmware: Per suggestions I got on Facebook from others who said they had flaky WIfi initially, I upgraded the firmware. At first, I got a weird error, I don’t remember what it said but think it mentioned not having permission…? Not sure. Anyway, I rebooted and when I got the prompt to upgrade firmware I told it yes and it worked. I thought.
- Unreliable Internet: My connection had been great on the devices I managed to connect, and had been working perfectly for hours. After the firmware upgrade, it was extremely unreliable. I also found that one device was unable to reconnect after it had been in airplane mode. Same connection issue as before, except worse - it couldn’t get internet no matter what.
- Reset, Reset, Reset: So. Many. Factory. Resets. Some of them changing only one or two settings such as the wifi networks and passwords. Some of them changing literally nothing. Some changing the APN to the one that works better. Some not changing anything and leaving Auto Setup to do its thing.
- Another Upgrade: In case something went wrong the first time, this time I went to the GL.iNet website and downloaded the latest firmware for the Spitz AX. I installed it. I did another factory reset. Nothing changed.
- No Internet: I have the sim inserted. I have power cycled dozens of times, factory reset etc. as outlined above. It just plain will not allow internet connectivity to any devices, whether connected to the access point or connected to the Spitz’s wifi. The sim registers on the network, has excellent signal, is connected in every possible way I can find, and can even send text messages but not receive them. But no devices can access the internet.
- Weird Error: Occasionally, I get an error on the top of the GUI for the Spitz AX that says something about an ‘unexpected error’ and prompts me to check the network or reboot. The cellular network says it’s connected and reboots don’t fix anything.
- DHCP Issue: The access point keeps showing, in the client list, as having the same IP address as the one device connected through it. This is despite having given the access point its own IP and power cycling it. Sometimes it starts showing the right IP, but then it cycles back to the wrong one.
- DNS Issue: Not sure if just a generic error, but when I try to access sites while connected to the cell network via the Spitz, it says the DNS server can’t be found. This is true even when I change to any of the built-in DNS options (Google, Cloudfar, OpenDNS, etc.) and the DNS servers for the carrier are not down because when the sim gets put into a phone it works perfectly with no alterations.
Please, help. This stuff is far over my head and I’ve done everything I can think of with no results. My Spitz AX has basically become a brick, and I don’t understand why or how because I can’t find anything that seems out of the ordinary. I only found one thread, which seemed to be for a non-AX Spitz, and the solution to their problem isn’t the solution to mine; they had a misconfigured guest network, but I’ve currently got just factory default networks and no enabled guests. (Also, the error happens on the Access Point too.)