Spitz (GL-X750) ->questions<-

1. Please explain the antennas, is this router “mimo” and how many LTE antennas does it have?

2. Price $134 ($144) … WHAT? Ok, this is not a good question, but WHAT? I will not be a monster and I will not mention competitors below this price …

Please do not ban me :slight_smile: , Slate, AR150, MT300N are great routers (best about Wireguard and OpenVPN support)…

#1 There are two external antennas. One is a 5GHz antenna with 4dbi, another is the LTE antenna with 700M ~ 2.7GHz, while 2.4GHz with two internal antennas.
#2 Do you think the price is unreasonable? Compare with Slate, it built-in TLE module. It has Bluetooth and ZigBee interface as optional.

Ok, I am probably unfair and speak as a European, but we only use LTE routers with MIMO support and two antennas (such LTE 4G network construction here, soon 5G :slight_smile: ). Thanks to this, 15 km from the transmitter in the forest I have average speeds of 60-70Mbps and stable connection. I was hoping for a router with two LTE antennas and two internal WiFi antennas 2.4GHz and 5GHz. It is probably easily repairable by some D.I.Y. …and loss of warranty …

Price … I have always considered Glinet routers to be more affordable than big brands, now it is more expensive, I know how much the components cost and I just mark that similar competition routers (without an interchangeable LTE modem only with the internal one) are cheaper. If you start selling for half without an LTE modem, then maybe it will be acceptable for me. Somewhere, I have an free EC25 to use :).

Bluetooth or ZigBee…Would we see integration with your new UI 3.0? Integration with Xiaomi devices or other home control protocols? Turn on the bulb, turn off the bulb? :slight_smile:

@Jax

Let’s clarify about Spitz. The price is high but it can be justified. It has a CAT6 module which take half of the cost of the whole product.

It has two LTE antennas. We tested in Sweden and can reach 80Mbps, which is good ought. EC25 will only have 1/3 to 1/2 of the speed.

BLE and Zigbee will not in the current pre-order version. Still a lot of work to do. Yes we do have UI in the firmware. It can be used to turn onf bulb etc.

BUT is doesn’t work with Xiaomi now. Xiaomi doesn’t open their protocol. We have other bulb for you to work. It has to work with BLE devices which doesn’t have propitiatory protocols on that.

how is ovpn am wireguard speed compared to slate?

Similar as the cpu computation is similar. Slate is a little faster.

So Spitz is like a big brother to MiFi? i.e. faster LTE module, upgraded WiFi, option for Bluetooth or Zigbee… but more expensive and no option for battery.

Will Spitz eventually aim to replace MiFi, or is MiFi still going to be an active product? What Cat6 module is in Spitz that is 2-3x faster than EC25?

The EP06 is the new module that GL is updating their 4g products to. As Alfie wrote, i tested the module in Stockholm and could get 80Mbps.

The Mifi is still an active product aimed to be portable, while the Spitz is like the AR750s but with 4G, for people in rural areas that need 4G internet, or travelers that won’t be near hotel wifi or other sources of internet.

Interesting… slightly off-topic for a moment, but I wonder if a) Mifi will be offered with EP06 as an option in the future? and b) I’m assuming the external LTE antenna on the SPITZ is a result of lessons learned from MiFi’s poor signal strength internal antenna… maybe there is hope for an external antenna MiFI in the future also (or at least an option to buy the SPITZ one and plug it in yourself lol)

True, it’s a pity that the module is so expensive but it does not depend on you.

Yes, now it has. It’s nice that you corrected all the descriptions. You’re welcome.
I understand that the 5Ghz antenna is on a separate PCB attached somewhere inside of the housing? Right?

An interesting choice, I personally hope that these protocols will not be accepted and we will return to ordinary WiFi + 5G LTE or something similar.

Huh? BLE and Zigbee/etc are designed for a completely different purpose than Wifi or LTE. They are low power/low range/low throughput radio products designed primarily for use in things like IoT/home automation and local connectivity. There are many real world reasons that these exist… maybe do some googling. The good point is that descriptions appear to say SPITZ has these as optional modules, so if you don’t want them lobby hard enough and maybe GLi will let you buy a version that doesn’t have either onboard.

:slight_smile: I know these protocols and know what they do, but I was thinking about the specific situation of Spitz, the home router with BLE / Zigbee. Please list the applications of these protocols in this situation, omitting the home automation for which the wifi + gsm is simply better (my whole house is based on wifi + gsm. BLE / Zigbee protocols would not work here (range?). Glinet probably leads Spitz to the commercial/company market where use of these protocols makes more sense (advertising?)

Spitz does aim for commercial market. So for consumers if you need Bluetooth and zigbee then you can use this module. Otherwise just don’t use the Bluetooth and zigbee.

We will have small dev boards for home automation.

Zigbee and to some depending on deployment BLE too are meant to be mesh networks, so saying something like “doesn’t work because of range” is silly unless you are only putting 1 or 2 devices on opposite sides of your house and you live in a very large structure. In North America Zigbee and BLE are by far the most popular for both home automation and commercial application purposes simply because they have been around in that type of application for longer and have far more products than WiFi based solutions (which are relatively new from Home Automation perspective). From a residential use perspective including such a module allows Spitz to be a combination Router/Home Automation Hub.

From a commercial perspective, many BLE sensors (beacons, person trackers, etc) are on or entering the market right now, and having BLE integrated into something like Spitz means smart commercial companies can deploy these sensor networks and have both A) connection redundancy (hardwired WAN and 4G/LTE) and B) complete separation from customer’s networking equipment. Many stores and retail locations will only accept stand alone solutions like that as they do not want your traffic piggy-backed onto their existing uplinks and infrastructure.

Anyway as Alfie pointed out, if you don’t want Bluetooth or Zigbee then just don’t use them. Clearly GL expects there to be enough people other than you who actually want these or they would not have spent the time/effort designing and integrating it into their product.