Spitz recall

Has anyone else had the recall notice? I’m curious if it is a hoax or not.

I have received it too.

2 Likes

What will you do ?

• Repair yourself ?
  • Ask new Spitz ?
  • Refund ?

Refund, I think. I haven’t been happy with the openvpn performance, and I don’t like the power supply.
I might see what else they are offering with better performance, but I won’t buy until December, I think.
What about you?

what is the reason for the recall?
thank you.

I found out yesterday. Not sure what’s in the official recall documentation as I got the info direct from gl-inet.

Removing the capacitor that fixes the issue took me about 10 minute at the most.

1 Like

Maybe, you should try Wireguard instead of OpenVPN.
OpenVPN needs a very very fast CPU.

I can reach 28 mbits with spitz and wireguard.
With the same connection, my computer can reach 70 mbits with wireguard …

I am very mixed …

Spitz is the ONLY 4G+ rooter with Wireguard support. But CPU is a little too low … A quad-core would be perfect !

Apparently, a capacitor that was needed during development was left on the board, and it represents a risk of overheating…my words, not theirs. They provide a guide to remove it (which limbot did, it seems), which is one option, but returning the device is another.

1 Like

I can’t try wireguard since I don’t control what protocols are implemented on the other end of the VPN tunnels.

The CPU does, they say, support the crypo extensions that are needed to make openvpn speedy, but the firmware developers haven’t been able to get it to work.

My current thinking is that I’d prefer to share my laptop’s wired connection (tethered off my phone, if need be), and run the vpn client on the laptop.

Spitz is (as far as I know) the only integrated 4G router running off OpenWRT. This means I’m not tied to a manufacturer for firmware updates and can run all the Openwrt modules I want, if I want, when I want (OpenVPN, Wire guard, Transmission, MWan 3, adblock). Heck I’ve even got the choice of gl.inet, Vanilla OpenWRT or Rooter for firmwares.

For the telcos where I am (without VPN) I can get 30-90 Mbs ( depending on Telco and what conditions are on the day and how I hold my tongue :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) which is more than enough for my meagre requirements (maybe 2 streaming video services at a time) and is better than many of the landline broadband services here in Oz. Vpn is used only for geographic purposes and I have three main countries I use so run client based VPN rather than on the router for ease of swapping. Using NordVPN browser extension I can have one browser in one country and another browser in another country and VPN download speed is pretty decent if I need it.:blush:

When I first heard about the solution I had visions of having to desolder the capacitor or having to remove Ufl connectors ( bloody risky at the best of times) however if removing 7 screws then (literally) wiggling off a cap let’s me keep using my X750, I’m in! :sweat_smile:

Yes, I do also value OpenWRT, though perhaps not as much as you do in real, practical, terms.

I also agree that the non-VPN bandwidth is plenty - it’s really quite an impressive little device.

I use ExpressVPN - but have recently had cause to shop around, so perhaps I should opt for NordVPN which, iirc, implements Wireguard - I think ExpressVPN is still prevaricating on Wireguard, presumably due to it’s ‘pre-release’ status, so OpenVPN (client) is still my only option. NB I’m not so interested in VPN for privacy, so much as its ability to make things ‘just work’ and negate attempts to prevent me using various internet services, so Wireguard would suite me just fine, prelease or not…so long as it works.

If they were able to get the OpenVPN client to use the chip’s crypto extensions, I suspect I’d keep it. That professional model (Amorak) looks like the dog’s bollocks though…I would hope that manages to get a decent OpenVPN client speed. I can’t think that any of the more portable ones, which have USB power - a feature I like (due to me travelling a lot) - would have any better OpenVPN client performance - probably worse.

I have to say, the recall has been handled very well. The people dealing with me were very professional and pleasant.
I’m not put off buying from this company again in the future in the slightest.

1 Like

@davidmaxwaterman. Nord has just treleased their own version of Wire guard recently, Nordlynx which they say addresses some of the security issues with Wire guard. Only available for Linux clients at the moment but nice to know they’re working on it! :blush:

Ah, nice to know. Linux is my primary platform - I don’t use Microsoft or Apple OSes - so “only” doesn’t apply to me :wink: Actually, that they have a Linux client was a primary reason for choosing ExpressVPN.

Of course, I also use their Android app.

I’ll check out NordVPN. Perhaps I’ll buy the next gen of Spitz, or another GL-Inet model at some point.