Spitz X-3000: Can I replace the X62 modem with an X65?

Are they user replaceable?

hi,
It is not replaceable, has not been adapted.

1 Like

It would be nice if we can replace it with the RM521F-GL (X65 modem).

It seems pretty simple to teardown the X3000 - remove the 4 rubber feet on bottom and remove screws to separate and open the plastic casing. Then remove heatsink and the screw holding M2 modem down. Just need $$$ to get the RM521F-GL and risk things not working. But there might be that chance where it works out :grin:

Can GL.iNet sell a X62 to X65 modem upgrade kit?

I wonder if following the directions on this page will help setup x65 on SPITZ.

I ordered an RM521F and installed it in my GL-X3000. Unfortunately, it seems to pretty much immediately crash the device. It powers on, boots up, and works for a little bit before rebooting and starting the process over.

I’m not sure how to get logs in this state, since it doesn’t stay powered on long enough to do anything.

Hi @zacharee, were you able to make it working? I am also thinking of upgrading the module to latest so we can get better performance and speed.

I was searching all over the place and found that we need to run the below AT command to connect module to modem.

AT+QCFG="data_interface",1,0
AT+QETH="eth_driver","r8125",1
AT+QCFG="pcie/mode",1

you can plug into laptop/desktop to configure the module or alternativly you may have to buy 5G adaptor board like this Aliexpress

Please keep me posted about how are you getting on with this?
Kind regards, Mahe

I’ll have to get an adapter so I can try the commands.

I got an adapter and ran those AT commands, but they didn’t change anything. The RM520N has the following config:

AT+QCFG="data_interface"
AT+QCFG="data_interface"
+QCFG: "data_interface",1,0

OK
AT+QETH="eth_driver"
AT+QETH="eth_driver"
+QETH: "eth_driver","r8125",0
+QETH: "eth_driver","r8168",0

OK
AT+QCFG="pcie/mode"
AT+QCFG="pcie/mode"
+QCFG: "pcie/mode",0

I set the RM521F to use the same values as the RM520N, and it works!

Instead of aggregating LTE 2+2+66 and 5G 41, I have LTE 2+66 and 5G 41+41, with much faster download speeds.

The Spitz UI doesn’t know what the RM521F is so it falls back to treating it as an LTE-only modem in the settings. It also likes to set the network mode to LTE only instead of AUTO, so I had to run AT+QNWPREFCFG="mode_pref",AUTO to override what it set.

So you actually removed the RM520N from the Spitz and installed the RM521F?

Will the settings you have used persist a reboot?

Yeah, it’s a little fiddly but not too difficult. Here’s what I did (after running the AT commands from a PC to configure the modem):

1. Remove the 4 rubber stoppers in the screw wells on the bottom and loosen the screws.
  2. Use a spudger or flathead screwdriver to unclip the bottom from the case and remove it.
  3. Take out the 2 screws holding the mainboard into the case.
  4. Remove the short black antenna wire from the mainboard that’s attached to the little antenna strip inside the case.
  5. Grab the heatsink and use it to pull the mainboard away from the ports in the case a bit and then lever it up, with the ports staying down inside the case.
  6. Remove the 4 screws going through the metal plate on the back of the mainboard to release the heatsink.
  7. Pull off the heatsink and set it aside. I was able to keep the fan plugged in.
  8. Push a screwdriver through the silicone on the bracket holding the modem card in and unscrew it.
  9. Unplug all the antennas from the card and swap in the new one. I didn’t move over the foam from the old card, only the thermal pad.
  10. Put everything back together.

The gateway doesn’t change the settings I changed by itself, and it’s survived multiple reboots without crashing.

The adapter board I ordered from AliExpress hasn’t arrived yet, but I found out Amazon has some cheap boards, so I ordered this one, which is what I used: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLDLC3FL. It isn’t big enough for 5G modems, so you can’t screw it in, but you can just use tape or something to keep the card in place, and it works for AT commands.

Edit: It looks like the network mode resets every reboot to LTE, so I have to run AT+QNWPREFCFG="mode_pref",AUTO to get it back to using 5G.