T-mobile throttling download -- any work arounds?

I am successfully using t-mobile sims on E-750 mudi devices
Even though I am forcing the TTL to be 65, I notice my download speed is being throttled by t-mobile with the EC25-AFFA modem. It is one-tenth the upload speed.

root@GL-E750-e1e-167:~/iperf-stuff# cat ipf.sh
echo “Please wait, speedtest running $1”; echo "Download: “$(iperf3 -c $1 -p 5201 -t 10 -R -P 10 -O 3 | grep “SUM” | grep “receiver” | awk '{ print $6” "$7}‘); echo "Upload: “$(iperf3 -c $1 -p 5201 -t 10 -P 10 -O 3 | grep “SUM” | grep “receiver” | awk '{ print $6” "$7}’)

iperf3 -c $1 --bidir -i 10

root@GL-E750-e1e-167:~/iperf-stuff# ./ipf.sh example.com
Please wait, speedtest running example.com
Download: 2.58 Mbits/sec
Upload: 23.5 Mbits/sec
Connecting to host nyc1.setlurs.com, port 5201
[ 5] local 192.168.2.101 port 43290 connected to example.com port 5201
[ 7] local 192.168.2.101 port 43292 connected to example.com port 5201
[ ID][Role] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr Cwnd
[ 5][TX-C] 0.00-10.07 sec 20.6 MBytes 17.2 Mbits/sec 392 415 KBytes
[ 7][RX-C] 0.00-10.07 sec 2.62 MBytes 2.18 Mbits/sec

[ ID][Role] Interval Transfer Bitrate Retr
[ 5][TX-C] 0.00-10.07 sec 20.6 MBytes 17.2 Mbits/sec 392 sender
[ 5][TX-C] 0.00-10.24 sec 20.5 MBytes 16.8 Mbits/sec receiver
[ 7][RX-C] 0.00-10.07 sec 2.99 MBytes 2.49 Mbits/sec 127 sender
[ 7][RX-C] 0.00-10.24 sec 2.62 MBytes 2.15 Mbits/sec receiver

iperf Done.

Any other workarounds/suggestions to make the download speed comparable to the upload speed?

Thanks in advance

I’d like to add the same sim results in much faster download speeds when used in a phone/tablet for example. Something about the EC25-AFFA is causing t-mobile to detect and neuter the download the speed

Can you run a test on website speedtest.net from a PC or tablet connected to the GL-E750 via 5GHz wifi (i.e., not run test on the router itself)?

Also, run the same speedtest.net with SIM in phone, turn on hotspot on the phone, then connect a PC or tablet to the phone via 5GHz wifi?

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

@wcs2228
Before introducing a new dimension of hot spot performance over 5GHz, I would first want to understand if other T-Mobile mudi users are getting good download speeds or if something about the ec25-a is detected by T-Mobile and wwan0 is treated like a 2nd class citizen whereas other tablets and phones are treated like 1st class citizens.

Can you post the signal info? You can get this from the web panel of Mudi.

Download and upload use different band actually.

@alzhao
Here is the info you requested i hope. i have see it use band 2 and band 4. It says the bandwidth is 15M on band 4 . I have see it uses 20M possibly at a different time on band 2.

"sensor_info":{"code":0,"Temperature":38.5,"Charge_cnt":19,"Percent":39,"Charging":0},"cells_info":{"code":0,"cells":[{"type":"servingcell","state":"NOCONN","mode":"FDD","mcc":"310","mnc":"260","cellid":"5E9D01","pcid":"402","earfcn":"2325","band":"4","ul_bandwidth":"15M","dl_bandwidth":"15M","tac":"A206","rsrp":"-109","rsrq":"-10","rssi":"-79","sinr":"15","srxlev":"-","rat":"LTE"},{"type":"neighbourcell","earfcn":"2325","cellid|pcid":"402","rat":"LTE"},{"type":"neighbourcell","earfcn":"2325","cellid|pcid":"443","rat":"LTE"}]}

For band 4, the uplink and downlink frequency is as following.

Download link frequency may be near wifi 2.4G so may be interfere with 2.4G.

So try this:

1. Change wifi channel to 11 and try
  2. Turn off 2.4G wifi completely and try.

did you find a solution - I am experiencing the same issue. Downloads are capped around 5Mbits / uploads are around 20Mbits

They’re throttling me too. I’m about to cancel. 10mbps to 3.5mbps. Unreal in 2023.

Have you tried changing ttl to 65 on the router? This works 99% of the time for me. Enabling VPN on the router works 100%.

2 Likes

I tried the VPN and nothing was different. How would I change the TTL?

Contrary to a previous comment, a VPN will not defeat carrier throttling of hotspot or tethered devices all by itself. Either later tonight or tomorrow when I’m in front of my computer I can post the TTL commands that you need. That said, a VPN may assist in defeating the throttle as the carriers may have alternate ways of detecting tethering that the VPN may mask. To be clear, the VPN assist is just a theory of mine and I have no actual data to back it up.

Edit: and to clarify we’re talking about throttling due to tethering, not throttling steaming. A VPN will, all by itself, defeat the steaming throttle.

Edit 2: if you don’t want to wait for me to post the commands you can find them in these forums. That’s where I found them. They were posted somewhat recently, probably less than two months ago.

Contrary to previous post, I can say with absolute certainty due to personal experience, that a VPN absolutely MAY defeat throttling due to tethering. There is no one size fits all works for everybody solution. What works for some might not work for others. And what doesn’t work for some does not mean it won’t work for others. I have found with T-Mobile that for me changing TTL is more successful than VPN, but have found situations where only VPN would do it, and situations where both were necessary. Just do what works for you.

I just terminate my line. Wasted a shit ton of time.

1 Like