Woke up this morning to my OpenVPN stuck in a TLS Handshake failure loop and looking into the issue I found that the time and date on the router is somehow wildly out of sync.
The sync button does nothing, I have tried to restart, update firmware, revert firmware etc. and gotten nowhere.
Taking a deeper dive I tried to see if I could change the time and date via LuCI but it’s not installed and asks me to update plug-ins before installing which doesn’t do anything.
I’ve tried to manually update and install LuCI using SSH but I get the following errors:
- opkg_download: Failed to download https://fw.gl-inet.com/releases/v18.06.5/packages-3.6/siflower/packages/Packages.gz, wget returned 5.
- opkg_download: Failed to download https://fw.gl-inet.com/releases/v18.06.5/packages-3.6/siflower/glinet/Packages.gz, wget returned 5.
I can access the files via my browser on laptop and mobile so not an issue with my ISP.
Trying to use wget gives me an SSL certificate error which I imagine is because the date and time are wrong.
So in conclusion:
- Can’t use VPN because date and time are wrong
- Can’t change time without LuCI
- Can’t install LuCI without updating packages
- Can’t update packages due to SSL cert error
- Can’t fix SSL cert because date and time are wrong.
I’ve been banging my head against this brick wall for hours now so any advise would be appreciated.