TOR on GL-MT300A and GL-MT300N

Dear alzhao,

I have found reasons for my problems with TOR gateway on openwrt-mt300a-tor-1.4.bin
Trouble came from second DHCP server in the same LAN segment as TOR gateway.
Apparently, this foreign DHCP traffic went through LAN-WLAN bridge and changed settings of WiFi-connected client.
After disabling that second DHCP server, TOR gateway works as expected.
Sorry for troubling you with this problem, and thanks for the great work!!!

Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, you cannot have a 2nd DHCP server in LAN network. That will break everything.

Dear alzhao,
Your TOR firmware works very well!
But you can make the Onion Router work even safer for users.
To do this, add another important project the P.O.R.T.A.L to it, please!
Link: GitHub - grugq/portal: Personal Onion Router To Assure Liberty
Thank you!

The firmware is developed according to PORTAL.

I even talked with the Author about this.

What is the real difference now?

Those, P.O.R.T.A.L is built into the your firmware TOR?

Those are some scripts and config files. Yes we did use that. Not sure if there are updates recently.

I understood.

And Markov chains were used by you?

What Markov chains do you mean?

@alzhao Thank you for this firmware. I am using it but TOR does not work.

I can connect and use as normal router with wireless or with LAN but TOR never work. Always the normal IP is show.

When I go to the home page is is say “TOR NOT STARTED” and when I go to processes it is not show TOR. When I am restart TOR process also is not show TOR.

Is no differently when button is left or button is right. Always I am access UI. Always I am not use TOR. Version is 2.264 on MT-300A. Please advice me.

Did you change to this firmware and reserved settings? If yes please reset this firmware and start over.

Can you also ssh to the router and get the log?

I am using 2.264 firmware that is look like this: Overview - GL.iNet Router Docs 3

I do not know what is “reserved settings”.

I already reset many time.

I will SSH to the router. What is the log file location please? Thank you.

@alzhao Now is working like it should. I did reset but I did before and wasn’t working. But now it is good. I don’t know why but I am happy.

I have one question more. Will the DNS use TOR when the connection is using TOR?

@alzhao okay actually I have other question about TOR on GL-MT300A.

I have decided I will use a dd-wrt router to connect to TCP VPN through GL-300A that is using TOR. So:

Laptop → DD-WRT / TCP VPN → GL-300A w TOR → Cable Modem

Problem happen because if I use this then what happen is I have TOR connection in web browser. But DD-WRT shell can not ping nothing. This is big problem because DD-WRT shell must access internet to do NTP to allow VPN.

Is very strange. Computer that connect to DD-WRT can also not do ping. But computer that connect to DD-WRT can do web. Can also do DNS.

If GL-300a goes into normal (not TOR) mode then everything can ping and I can do NTP. (I do not test VPN because I do not want leak) and probably VPN will do also.

So something in GL-300A TOR is not allow anything that is not web maybe? I do not understand how this is possible.

And also how do I change this?

This is wonderful router. I love TOR firmware. You are doing a great thing.

Sorry I don’t know the problem of ddwrt.

Tor DNS will use the exit node DNS.