"Travel" Routers getting bigger and bigger

Hi GL-iNet team,

As much as I love your products, I miss the smaller size of travel routers such as Brume, Slate and Creta.

The form factor and shell these products had was a great compromise of features and portability. The only reason I never got them was for future proofing, ie they all had Micro USB rather than USB C.

For the same reason I am not interested in your Mango or Shadow.

Whilst I really want one of Slate AX, Slate Plus, Opal, Beryl etc the form factor of this is just a bit too big.

I want a travel router because it’s very small and portable. These are starting to become a bit too big.

I travel abroad 4 times a month, and I was waiting for you to release a 5G router rather than buying the Puli 4G.

Unfortunately same problem again. The Puli AX is very large, bulky, and unsightly.

Do you think the shell of the Slate/Creta/Brume could be revived but with USB C?

Thanks

2 Likes

Brume GL-MV1000 and Brume-W ( GL-MV1000W) have USB C

I don’t understand why there is WiFi 6 (AX) on travel routers. The extra band from WiFi 6e would be useful but there is no need for AX

Ah I just assumed all those with that shell were Micro USB.

So what exactly is an Edge Computing Gateway? I mainly need a travel router for wifi on flights and hotels so I am only logging in on one device.

Would the below do this?

With the Brume GL-MV1000 Edge Computing Gateway and Brume-W GL-MV1000W Wireless Edge Computing Gateway

Since Android phones have wifi 6, they could have their both wireless and wireless hotspot enabled.

That means you can use the android phone to connect to wireless network, and then hotspot it out to your other devices.

If that’s the only thing you need, an Android phone (usually a 5g phone) with wifi 6 will suffice

Brume and Brume-W are both on the End of Life list:

For now I am living with older GL iNet routers with Micro-USB power. On my Slate, Creta, Shadows, and n300 I have added a drop of epoxy to the Micro-USB connector on the router to fortify it, and they all are still working. I’m looking at other solutions for my future travel router needs, as GL iNet no longer seems interested in small form-factor routers.

The likes of their Shadow, Mango and TP Links equivalent offerings are very nice, small and compact.

But it’s about time everything started using USB C!

Apple will finally be switching to USB C as well from September so hopefully it paves the way for mass market adoption.

At present it’s still very hit and miss.

Uplink MU-MIMO, to start with?

What do you need more than 802.11n anyway? Isn’t 150 Mbps enough? :smiley:

GL.iNet has devices for all uses: don’t want AX? buy slate plus, opal, … don’t want 5GHz? buy mango, shadow…

Mass adoption is here already.

USB Micro-B is just old, it’s the older EU “common charger” standard.

@Cal

Please read the entire post, not only the first sentence. I already said that extra bands are useful

If glinet would have devices for all uses then this topic wouldn’t be created

USB Micro-B is old, but it was never EU “common charger” standard

I understand that you like Flint and that you want something bigger like… Asus, but believe it or not, there are people who need travel routers that are smaller in size

I tought we were saying random stuff about new technologies.

Yes, of course I’d like a smartphone-sized travel router, but that’s mudi: relatively expensive, no 5GHz, etc etc… There’s a reason the smaller routers are small: they use less power. It’s the same reason Slate AX has an actual fan inside.

Making a travel router small requires compromise.

@Cal

Mudi has 5Ghz

This topic is about a good replacement for Slate / Creta. Mudi cannot be a replacement for it, because it is bigger, has battery, has NO RJ45 port, it cannot run tailscale (at least there will be no official support) etc.

Yes, there is a reason why some routers are small, this is one of the reasons why I said that there is no need for AX in travel routers

Yes and no.

AX is fully mainstream, today. There is no need for a travel router to be on the bleeding edge, sure. AX isn’t that.

1 Like

Does anyone know how GL-iNet’s 5G router compares to Netgear Nighthawk M6?

Seems to tick most boxes as far as I can see. Not sure if it has all the built in VPN stuff gl-Inet has.

Also it’s very expensive

Link below

Glinet 5G router ( Spitz AX and Puli AX) is better if you use it at home or if you use it in a remote location

At the moment Glinet doesn’t have a 5G travel router, however you can use a 5G Phone and tethering

One of the reason why people like Glinet is because their software is based on OpenWrt and the most common settings can be done - using the easy to use Glinet interface

2 Likes

At the moment, I would use a glinet router and 5G phone (or the 4G Mudi or Puli, depending on the situation ) as a travel router

1 Like

Hi Silkweb,In fact, we are considering a travel router that supports 5G cellular networks, for which we need more time to validate and develop.

1 Like

Are you able to share the size and specs you are targeting for ?

For me the length and width aren’t as important in form factor (example I use a 15 inch air)

I would however definitely like to see the return of THIN travel routers with low thickness. Previously the routers could go in a small pocket in bag. The current generation of GL-Inet routers has to go in the main compartment of any bag/backpack.

For example the Brume and Slate were 2.5cm thick.

The TP Link Nano is only 1.8cm thick!

GL-iNets competitors the Mango/Shadow are 2.5cm thick.

Come on GL-iNet please give us a travel router like Brume/Slate but with 2cm thickness, USB C and all your usual wonderful features :grin:

The TP-Link Nano was what started me on Gl.Inet. The fact that the firmware was way out of date and there hadn’t been an update for ages and the fact that the firmware was so restrictive. if you look at the units side by side , they’re not all that different especially for the additional funcationality you get (software and hardware) for the extra size.

Yes likewise, the TP Link Nano is what got me into GL-Inet too.

Until then I didn’t even know this world existed where we had such small travel routers.

All I want is USB C and 2cm or less.

The newer Beryl, Skate AX etc are 3.5cm thick.

First world problems or what :joy: