Travel VPN Setup with DS-Lite Mode

I started researching information about VPN, routers, Gl-Inet etc. a few days ago. My goal is to be able to work from anywhere while connected to a VPN server from home to have a secure connection but also keep my german IP address.

I am particularly interested in the products Brume 2 and the travel router AXT1800 (Slate AX).

My current home router is an AVM Fritzbox 4690 Cable, which does not support WireGuard or OpenVPN. I’ve thought about upgrading my Fritzbox to one that supports WireGuard, but these cost €230 and more. Also, the Fritzbox doesn’t offer a kill switch, which is very important to me. And I must use a Fritzbox due to my parents’ place.

The next problem is that my ISP runs my router in DS-Lite mode. As far as I understand it, this only allows me Ipv6 connections which can lead into problems when only IPv4 is available while travelling?

My ISP gave me the following answer:

I can book IPv4 for free without any problems, however it is a dynamic IPv4. If accessibility from outside is to be guaranteed, I would recommend a static IPv4. However, this is not available for private customers. You can only book a static IPv4 in the business customer tariffs.

If you can manage with dynamic IPv4, I would be happy to book this for free.

As I don’t have much knowledge on of all this, I’m wondering what the best route for me.

Upgrade to Business? Use a dynamic Ipv4 address? Do I have to use DynDNS?

I would try to conn

Use a dynamic IPv4 + DynDNS and you are good to go. There is no need for any static IPv4.

Speaking of a router I would go with Flint or Flint2.
Since you are in Germany I can offer you a used Flint for a cheap price, if you like. Just send me a PM. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@admon @edgar Are you guys able help to create a real DS-Lite environment for our developers?

Nope, I have real internet. :sweat_smile:

What is the price of DS-Lite plan there?