Trying to connect to WireGuard server on GL-B1300, but client log always says "Handshake did not complete after 5 seconds"

Hi, I tried to create a WireGuard server using this tutorial from GL.iNet on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQba8jcZ_o

I believe I’ve followed every step correctly:

• Starting the WireGuard server using default setting
  • Create new user
  • Scan the QR code from my smartphone using the WireGuard app

When I activate the tunnel on the WireGuard app, I can’t seem to connect to anything. I’ve tried to ping 1.1.1.1 using the Terminal emulator, but nothing. When I looked at the log on WireGuard app, I notice that it always says Handshake did not complete after 5 seconds, then it keeps on retrying.

I believe the only significant thing I’ve done on my new B1300 is changing stubby.yml to modify DNS over TLS from Cloudflare to NextDNS. I also use NextDNS as Private DNS on my Android phone. I don’t think this is the issue though, because I tried turning off encrypted DNS on both router and phone, but they still can’t connect to each other.

Is there anything else I could do to make this work? Thank you in advance.

I tried to help by viewing the youtube video but gave up because of the crass music which rendered the instructions impossible to follow - sorry!

I believe that video is from GL.iNet’s official YouTube channel haha

1 Like

You can mute the video and read the on screen text :stuck_out_tongue:

Put it back for testing purposes… you’ll find it might work better

:slight_smile:

Cloudflare works better if I want to use B1300 as WireGuard server? That’s quite a bummer if true. I really like NextDNS because I can use it as a DNS sinkhole. They also provide nice analytics dashboard and logs.

I’ll try Cloudflare again when I have time.

that shouldn’t have anything to do with WG server. i have no issues with using b1300 running a server.

Hi, did you only do the steps mentioned in the video and it just works? Or did you do something extra to make it work? Thanks.

yes. i did the same way the video says.