U-boot repo for X3000 (Spitx AX) and friends

Hi, please could you point me to the correct u-boot source repo for your gl-x3000/gl-xe3000 devices? I’m pretty sure GitHub - gl-inet/uboot-source-for_mtk: U-boot for GL MT300A GL MT300N-V2 and so on, which are based on MediaTek SoC. is for a much earlier generation of Mediatek devices than the mt7981; I’m probably being an idiot and missing the correct repo in amongst the long list!

(I contributed some cosmetic fixes to your uboot-ip40xx for devices like the ap1300, and would like to be able to do the same with the x3000 bootloader.)

1 Like

I have the latest binary version of uboot for X3000; I can share it with you.

But I don’t recall seeing the source code of it in GL GitHub repos.

Someone from GL development team might help.

1 Like

Thanks, would definitely be interested in a copy or link to the current binary release - I don’t have a physical unit in my hands yet to copy the factory image from, even. But it would be really helpful if someone from GL-iNet could chime in with the right link to the relevant u-boot source too.

For what it’s worth, my aim is generally to run (and track) mainline linux on these router devices rather than openwrt, modulo patching in any drivers that aren’t yet mainlined, e.g. ipqess ethernet on the ap1300s. (See systems/ap1300 at master · arachsys/systems · GitHub for my build for the ap1300lte if you’re curious.)

This can be quite fiddly to get going at first, so I don’t mind spending a small amount of extra time proof-reading and correcting the bootloader strings given I’m likely to be reading them rather a lot while debugging kernels! Never fun to stare at typos and spelling mistakes while puzzling over issues with a driver forward-port. :wink:

I’m keen to have a play with the X3000 as it’s arm64 and as a bonus, uses emmc for the kernel and root filesystem instead of nand flash. The ap1300s are the last arm32 routers I still maintain, and being able to drop arm32 from my userspace builds altogether would save me a significant amount of time.

1 Like

Thanks @SpitzAX3000 - I can see fixing the spelling/grammar on this bootloader will be as big a patch as the ap1300 one: plenty of “index is mismatches”, “incorrent input length”, “unkonwn access type” as well as randomly capitalised words, missing/extra spaces mid-message, etc. Oh well, an easy half-hour’s project at some point!

You’re welcome!

How do you test the uboot if you don’t own x3000?

For your fixes/corrections to be accepted in next release, you can contact gl development team.

How do you test the uboot if you don’t own x3000?

I can’t really, though I can spot spelling errors and the like by reading the binary. My aim in posting here was mostly to check I can get the u-boot source to proof-read and clean up, before I buy a test unit or two. (I’ll check first that I can build it unmodified too!)

For your fixes/corrections to be accepted in next release, you can contact gl development team.

Is there an official contact point for the gl-inet development team I should be using instead of this forum, do you know? With the ap1300, I just did the work and sent the patch via github, but in this case I can’t use that method because I haven’t found the repo to make the pull request against. :slight_smile:

I see some gl guys here with us in the forum. Maybe you can send them private messages asking for the appropriate way to submit a patch or get involved.