Unable to open any website when OpenVPN is connected on Mango

HI, if use surfshark by OpenVPN app on your phone, does it work?

If you do not use pad tethering, use a normal wifi network, will the openvpn connects?

If this happens only on tethering, seems it is mtu problem or something special with the tethering network.

Thank you for the reply. Without OpenVPN turned on, I can reach cloudflare 1.1.1.1 or ping 8.8.8.8. With OpenVPN turned on, I couldn’t reach 1.1.1.1 or ping 8.8.8.8. The Mango uses whatever default DNS I think. I have never changed DNS settings in Mango

Thank you for your reply. Usually, I use the Surfshark app on my phone, and everything works. I have installed the OpenVPN Connect app on my phone, imported the config file from Surfshark, connected to the VPN service, and everything worked on the phone.

Thank you. I have spent a lot of time troubleshooting the Mango device. I reset the device to factory default settings, connected to wifi (not tether this time), and the same thing happened. OpenVPN/surfshark will connect every time. However the internet is not working when OpenVPN is on, and the internet is working when OpenVPN is off.

The internet kill switch is disabled on Mango, and I didn’t change DNS settings at all, just used default ones either from my ISP or Surfshark.

In the ovpn file, can you add

tun-mtu 1450
mssfix 1410 

Try to lower these numbers to see if helps

Thank you for everyone’s troubleshooting advice. I ran out of options, so I purchased another VPN from Hotspot Shield and was able to connect and browse the internet. I chatted with Surfshark support and now I have another issue with them. I will explain it in a new post.

1 Like

I have the same problme of Jing.
With command ping -f -l XXX, i see that work only whit MTU = 70 and this value is too short.
Obviously I have a mango whit relise 3.215.
Can you help me?

Hi, before openvpn connect, which maximum MTU works?

I don’t know but if I normally surf on internet I can suppose that MTU is 1500

If it is necessary I can try to make same verification.

Best regards

I am very interested in this MTU problem, please help for a test.

Problem with MTU = 1500 but OK with MTU = 1450

What is your vpn servcie provider? could you give more info about your network environment?

I don’t use a service provider. I have a OpenVpn service at my Home (I use router TP-Link Archer VR1210).
I would like connect to my home using Mango as a OpenVpn Client.
Whit TP-Link I have generate the file to configure VPN Client on Mango and It is OK but I’m not able to go on internet

That’s if the link was too slow

Please share ovpn client config file with keys/IP masked.

How about the peer-to-peer throughput between the VPN server and client ends without VPN?

Ovpn Client config is:

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
nobind
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
persist-key
persist-tun
verb 3
remote zzz.xxx.yyy 1094

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----

-----END CERTIFICATE-----

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

-----END RSA PRIVATE KEY-----

I don’t kown how I can made the peer-to-peer throughput between the VPN server and client ends without VPN.

Sorry for the late reply, could this option be removed?
I’ll check it tomorrow if that doesn’t work.

I confirmed that “comp-lzo adaptive” will cause the traffic not to pass.