Hello, I wanted to setup a WireGuard Server and Client. Leave the server at home and travel with the client router. For this, I’ve purchased Opal (GL-SFT1200) and Slate AX (GL-AXT1800). But I’m unable to get it to work, since the Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) refuses to play nice. Please find the detailed steps I’ve taken and let me know what I’m doing wrong. From this forum, I get the picture that, I’m not the only person who is receiving this issue and it might be something to do with your Devices or the Firmware. Please advice:
Opal (GL-SFT1200) as WireGuard Server: -
Hello. I’ve Opal (GL-SFT1200), on which I’ve switched On ‘DDNS’.
Opal (GL-SFT1200) is up to date on the software/update.
DDNS Test succeeds.
WireGuard Server is turned On.
On my Home Router (Linksys Router/Xfinity Internet), I’ve added the exception of the Opal (GL-SFT1200)'s IP address and the Port that I want to keep open/allowed in my Home router firewall. Protocol UDP is selected. (I’ve tried to keep the Protocol as both TCP and UDP, but the Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) client is not able to turn on the WireGuard VPN)
Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) as WireGuard Client: -
- Now, I want my Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) (to be used as WireGuard Client) router to connect to my Opal (GL-SFT1200)'s WireGuard server.
- Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) is connected to a different Internet network entirely and is not on the same network as Opal is.
- The WireGuard Server config from Opal is copied and applied to the Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) WireGuard Client.
- When I go to VPN dashboard on Slate AX (GL-AXT1800) and try to turn on th eWireGuard VpN client, it keeps shows the message “The client is starting, please wait…”. I’ve left if on this msg for a long time but this msg does not change nor does the VPN client gets started.
- But in the logs, below is what I get to see.
PATH=/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin PWD=/\nTue Aug 22 00:30:33 2023 daemon.notice netifd: wgclient (28278): cat: can’t open ‘/tmp/run/wg_resolved_ip’: No such file or directory\nTue Aug 22 00:30:33 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is now down\nTue Aug 22 00:30:33 2023 daemon.notice netifd: Interface ‘wgclient’ is setting up now\nTue Aug 22 00:30:34 2023 user.notice mwan3: Execute ifdown event on interface wgclient (unknown)\nTue Aug 22 00:30:35 2023 user.notice firewall: Reloading firewall due to ifdown of wgclient ()\n"