Unexpected reboot GL-AX1800 Flint

Hi, yes, original power supply.

cheers
Piero

Hi, I removed the USB keys but the flint reboot itself after less than 3 days. can you please guide me to troubleshoot or let me know what is the next step?
Not to compare other routers, but I never had this amount of reboot in a router and I’m starting to worry about it.

1 Like

In order to facilitate the location of the problem, I have also set up an AX1800, which has been running for 3 days, but no reboot phenomenon has been found temporarily. I will continue to observe.

When you update do you do a clean install(do not keep settings)
Try using a different electrical outlet with no surge protector.
Does it happen around the same-time of day?
Does it always reboot around three days?
Are you running adguardhome with 8-15 list instead of one large blocklist?

Hi,
Some info for my case:

1. time of the day, RANDOM;

2. uptime, between 2 and 7 days;

About what I’m doing to troubleshoot the problem:

• first, I removed the USB key only, same issue;

• shutdown the WG and OpenVPN servers, same issue;

• now I moved the plug to a different socket, did it only yesterday, I will give some info in the next few days.

My next step will be to reinitialize the firmware.
    In all the cases, I have no log that can help me to understand the issue.

cheers
Piero

I had the same issue as yours last year…

Hi,
And how was it solved? Just exchanged the item?
I will wait for the other few tests, and in case someone from GLINET can tell me what to do, I bought the item on Amazon, and I can always come back to them.
I will keep you updated.

Cheers
Piero

I had tried many ways to check if anything will be the cause of the reboot issue.

Power adapters(OEM and 3rd party) and power outlets (different outlet) interchanged testing → checked (not the issue)

Finally, I was ONLY sure that if AX-1800 is running in “AP mode” instead of “Router mode”, no randomly reboot will happen.

So I didn’t resolve the issue. (AX-1800 is not serving in my house so far.)

Hi,
I had another reboot, and the system upload bearly arrived to 3 days.
I just run the reset of the firmware, and recover all the info with a backup (just specify, because I think that the backup only contain name and password, and not installed package for example).
I bought this router more than one month ago in amazon, but I’m thinking to ask for a replace.
if Someone from Gl.Inet can give me other info I will be happy.
Just to recap, I already:

1. I moved the modem to a different energy socket;

2. Just reset the firmware and I will keep an eye;

3. no logs anywhere about this reboot;

Thanks.
    regards
    Piero

UPDATE: after the refresh of the firmware I had the first unexpected reboot in less than 15 minutes…

Hey I had the same issue on firmware 4.1, 4.2 and 4.2.1
I’ve now rolled back to 3.216 and the reboots seems to have stopped. Maybe it’s worth a try for you too, you can install it via uboot: Debrick via Uboot - GL.iNet Docs 4

Also having the same problem with 2x GL-AX1800 devices. I can confirm that Version 3.2 does not have this problem.

Good to know, this means that is a software issue, I hope that Gl.Inet can find it and solve it!

I am pretty sure there is a memory leak gremlin still running around, I have observed on netdata the memory had been stable for the last 72 hours at 92 % then spiked to 95% ( Think OISD full list was being updated). Right after that Netdata stopped showing data. Network was up and seemed to still be working, but if you disconnected wired or wireless devices they could not reconnected. Unplugging the router from the wall was the only way able to reset.
It is now running snapshot
Date Compiled: 2023-05-04 18:04:52 (UTC-04:00)
SHA256: 28e76c11a8540128cf73ff26c83c4a092ebbb7714aad89ea7e1dd687be851cdf
see how it does

FYI Snapshot is loaded from GUI does not keep settings and backup file is used to load settings then packages are updated and added

Hi all, have the same problem. My Flint restarts randomly once/two times a day… without any specific info. No crach logs, just restart. Not using any specific USB device etc. As well use it in AP Mode. I have also opinion this happens with the new 4.* software =(
Waiting for the fix …

Regards,
Leo

Just to let you know, still the same issue (with a second router).
This time the router arrived with around 13 days of uptime and after an unexpected reboot.
I have no time now to do any other test, like install the version 3.x as someone suggested.
If Gl.Inet would like me to run any script, or install any cronjob to try to catch the error/reason, please let me know.
I can survive with a reboot every few days, and after the reboot all the component starts without issue, but it could be useful know what is going on to prevent this reboot.
thanks
Piero

You never updated uboot did you!!
Should be Uboot 2.0 version 22.07.10

How can I check the uboot version?
I can tell you the software version or the luci version.

You will need to put the router into Uboot mode:

Will be the last bit of writing in a grey box under everything

Thanks.
Sorry, I don’t want to messup or reset my router.
If you know another way to check the uboot, from command line, Luci or wherever, let me know, otherwise the only thing I know now is that I’m on the latest stable version of the software.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers
Piero

Please ssh into flint and use this command to verify the uboot version:

strings /dev/mtd7 |grep "U-Boot 2"

you can use that but it never gives me any usable info. @hansome is this the right command was posted by you in another post.

Mine says: Uboot 2016.01 (July 10 2022 - 23:27:05 -0400) wait I see what it is now this is the date code
(July 10 2022 - 23:27:05 -0400) is version 22.10.07 (year,day,month)

1 Like