Unknown private clients *

Hi everyone, I see 4 to 6 private clients on my network attached to the router that I dont know about and are named *.
Can anyone confirm wether or not they are from gli-net or other sources on the network that autoconnect?
Thank you

1 Like

These are likely devices with a randomized mac address. You currently can’t stop this, however in the coming firmware V4.2 you can choose to block random mac addresses & force clients to disable this option.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any idea if they are the devices connected to my home router (not mudi) that are automatically looking for connection with mudi and connecting without password(???). Or rogue devices from locations nearby perhaps?

Or old MAC address of devices that I previously logged on with, with random MAC set?

Sometimes I see 1 or 2 logged on and 4-6 logged off. They are definitely not devices I have logged on, if they are MAC of old devices that I logged on with, then how could the same device be online twice?

There are two kinds of randomize MAC address, one is fixed “randomize MAC”, the other one is "change MAC on every connection/time). I also got several listed on my GL-iNET router(iPhone and Pixel phone)…

how do you know its your iphone or pixel if it says * ?

(Could someone explain this to me like im a noob)

The randomized MAC address of the same device may change. The same client device may generate data for multiple offline client devices.

You can view the randomized MAC address used by the device on your phone. Then compare it with the MAC address on the “Clients” page.
For example, for the iPhone, you can click on the blue “i” icon after the SSID in the WLAN page and then find the randomized MAC address.