Unknown private clients *

Hi everyone, I see 4 to 6 private clients on my network attached to the router that I dont know about and are named *.
Can anyone confirm wether or not they are from gli-net or other sources on the network that autoconnect?
Thank you

1 Like

These are likely devices with a randomized mac address. You currently can’t stop this, however in the coming firmware V4.2 you can choose to block random mac addresses & force clients to disable this option.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you have any idea if they are the devices connected to my home router (not mudi) that are automatically looking for connection with mudi and connecting without password(???). Or rogue devices from locations nearby perhaps?

Or old MAC address of devices that I previously logged on with, with random MAC set?

Sometimes I see 1 or 2 logged on and 4-6 logged off. They are definitely not devices I have logged on, if they are MAC of old devices that I logged on with, then how could the same device be online twice?

There are two kinds of randomize MAC address, one is fixed “randomize MAC”, the other one is "change MAC on every connection/time). I also got several listed on my GL-iNET router(iPhone and Pixel phone)…

how do you know its your iphone or pixel if it says * ?

(Could someone explain this to me like im a noob)

The randomized MAC address of the same device may change. The same client device may generate data for multiple offline client devices.

You can view the randomized MAC address used by the device on your phone. Then compare it with the MAC address on the “Clients” page.
For example, for the iPhone, you can click on the blue “i” icon after the SSID in the WLAN page and then find the randomized MAC address.

hey guys, I just set up my router to the bridged router of my ISP. And I noticed that I got about 10 different devices on my subnet, all of which are not mine, some of the names of the devices represented local things. For example there is a Pizza place about a mile away from me, and it was in my client list! Currently offline and I blocked them all.

How does this happen, how does devices with randomized mac address which I am not sure how it applies in this case, appear here and are actually relevant to the actual pizza place a mile away that is in my client list?

Thanks.

can you post a screenshot? It is helpful.

What is your device model? Have you changed wifi key?

yes I have changed the wifi key, here is the list - I have blocked them all:

I have to scratch my head. No idea what happend.

Thank you for your honesty! Dearly appreciate it. I will try to think how I reproduced this, but I basically set the router up and I think the only think I did was PPPoE activation when DHCP failed so and I noticed all of these clients. At that moment they were not offline, but unblocked and online.

Hi, @wizcourage
I would like to express my assumptions about your case.
Glinet devices of previous generations had a standard password for Wi-Fi networks “goodlife”. I’m just sure that some people, because of their laziness, did not change the standard wifi password to a custom complex one. For example, this person is me :slight_smile:
There are people who are scanning other people’s networks or even make maps of wifi networks, like google maps (for example, wardriving, with more advanced scanning and hacking utilities)
There are quite legal utilities that, when scanning, provide information about the manufacturer of the router. Sometimes this information is enough to look for either standard passwords or other solutions to successfully connect to someone access point.
You can google about wifi network maps to look up your city and even personally the name of your hotspot. Maybe you will find your glinet router on the map with it’s name and a key of your wifi.

1 Like

My main router (not a Glinet device) collects information (list with all devices with BSSID) that have tried to connect to my wifi, but got rejected in case of wrong key.
Sometimes this list is very long :slight_smile:
@alzhao , is it possible to add a similar function to the Glinet shell?

This belongs to security features and it is possible to add.

Cannot happen recently though.

1 Like