Updating OpenWRT firmware to 19 on GL.iNET X750

I downloaded firmware from OpenWrt Firmware Selector and used debrick instructions to update firmware but after it appears to complete I am unable to ping the router at either 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.8.1 via ethernet.

In general, has anyone successfully updated GL.iNET X750 to a 19.07 or greater version of OpenWRT?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Just wait a while and we will upgrade to 19.07

1 Like

Just wait a while and we will upgrade to 19.07

That will be great! Currently I am trying to compile a custom program in my Spitz and I am not able to do so because of a mismatch between Glibc 2.30 in my Ubuntu machine and the version required to compile the toolchain of version 18.06.1 currently running in my router.

Best Regards,

19.07 is already in snapshot. You are suggested to wait 2 more days to try. But if you are technically good, you can try now.

1 Like

“19.07 is already in snapshot. You are suggested to wait 2 more days to try. But if you are technically good, you can try now.”

Great!

@alzhao Please make sure to upgrade to 19.07.6+, there are some nasty security bugs in dnsmasq in older releases.

See https://openwrt.org/releases/19.07/notes-19.07.6

Really would like to see the 19.07 soon also both for security reasons and to get the memory partitioning right moving forward.

You can test the beta version of 3.201 which is 19.0x:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/snapshots/3.201_beta1/

Just got it running but had to use Uboot method. Using the normal UI would not work. Some problems I’ve noticed so far. Picture of errors I get when trying to go to advanced menu. Also, no led indication for LTE connection although I’m online and using right now. The major problem is not being able to access the advanced menu and see what it is showing for firmware version. I assume it is 19.xxx. Thanks and hope this helps. I may revert back if connection gets unstable but will try to stay on this in case you have more questions or want me to try something. Thanks.

OK, got past the errors by dismissing all of them. Still pop up when moving between menu pages sometimes. Here is what the overview page shows, so is defineitely 19.07.5.

Yeah sorry for the bugs. The team worked hard to get the base system up and running, next step is to get the UI and bugs ironed out. It should work fine though (basic functions such as networking).

2 Likes

Yea, seems to be working as far as networking and actually connecting to LTE signal. Just wonky moving around in the UI due to the errors. Will the average user have to use Uboot to install once it is final?

It will show up as any other update.

An update after trying the beta snapshot. It appears to reduce the LTE speed by at least half. I went back to older version and speed went back up. Don’t know if it something the script writers are aware of but thought I’d share my experience.

Did you check if in the new firmware you are using ttyUSB other than QMI?

Thanks, no didn’t check that. Will try again down the road when I have time to flash back to the beta look at it again. I do always use QMI vs MBIM though.