Urgent firmware release v2.263 with security patches for dnsmasq and wpa2

Installed this firmware last night had issues with it they where

1. wifi losing connection completely after initial setup

2. vpn switch was reversed to what it said on router UI page.

3. when vpn switch was off couldn’t get a signal at all.

all problems corrected after 3 factory resets. now working as it should any news on final release?

I looked at the ar750, but I don’t really understand why this unit is coming out. For a portable router the most important thing would be to add a build-in power source. Which this unit still lacks. You wont even need to add a build-in one, but only offer a slot for a wide-spread standard lithium-ion batterie-pack (optional to buy for ~$10), you then can also charge through micro-usb of the device.

Nah, portable battery packs are so cheap and with most of them having 2-3-4 ports it’s not a big deal. The primary benefit of the AR750 to me is 5GHz WiFi - that’s the only reason I’ll buy one. Otherwise there don’t appear to be any advantages to my AR300-M realistically.

Nope. I don’t want to have a outside batterie pack, I want my portable router to have a in build batterie. And it wouldn’t even add more space, it would already fit into the router. It also could be optional. It is not about CHEAP or PRICE. It is about comfort and space. If you’re in a cafe, it is just stupid to carry your portable router AND a extern batterie pack with you laying on the table.

@mkdr Fair enough, different use case I suppose for you. There are always compromises and trade-offs with these small devices. AR750 frankly looks a bit large for my taste (AR300-M is just about right sans antennas if I don’t need them) and I carry small Anker packs around with what 12 or 13K so it’s just trivial to hook up in a pinch if I really need that option or functionality.

I have a couple older Monster-branded travel routers which have a built-in battery but frankly the routers stink (very underpowered) and so it’s six of one and a half-dozen of the other once again. There will never be one device that satisfies all use cases and scenarios for every user.

The next release will be v2.27 in the near future.
1. Need to show change log in user interface under "newest version" (view change log before download)
  1. Need to implement wired client isolation for untrusted IoT devices

Just thought I’d drop by and say that I’ve just upgraded the firmware to this 2.263 version on my ar300m NAND, via the router UI, and it works well.

It even seems to have solved an issue I was yet to report about not being able to switch between *.ovpn files via the UI dropdown in the OpenVPN tab.

Very happy so far.

Thanks.

When is 2.27 planned for?

@rich, good question. I think we will have beta testing this month and release next month.

Unless I am mistaken, rebind protection is set to “0” as default - surely the default should be “1”.

Glitch

Can I get a simple feature request in the new firmware?

Can you pull in this script and put a enable/disable in the UI? I have been pulling this in manually every time I have to perform a hard reset or update firmware. Several of us use the minirouter for security and anonymity. This script randomizes the WAN MAC every boot and it works great. Please take a look and consider adding it to the page that includes MAC clone settings.

When I try to compile and install just the dnsmasq package (openwrt-cc/package/network/services/dnsmasq at master · domino-team/openwrt-cc · GitHub) I end with a system without DHCP.

How can I fix it? What else should I compile and install?

@boblabla, that script doesn’t work correctly. It will generate a random mac address but it doesn’t make sure the mac address is valid.

I just tested, if it generate ff:xx:xx… then it is invalid. The first octet must be even, for example 00 02 etc.

This is doable but as it may cause undesirable result, we need to be careful.