USB-C PD to Barrel Cable works with the X3000

I hate having to travel with proprietary stuff, so I was at first dismayed that the X3000 wasn’t USB-C PD (as I have a LOT of USB-C PD supplies, as well as a few already in storage at the places I travel the most, plus USB-C PD is ubiquitous). But thankfully the SpitzAX accepts a wide array of voltages.

So I’m probably the last to know about these, but I got a cable from Amazon that negotiates 20V from USB-C PD and outputs to a barrel connector, so I have one fewer proprietary device to bring with me!

While we’re an International forum, for those who use Amazon the one I’d picked (there were several) was this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GLGDD3S . (For those of you not in a hurry, there’s probably one on Alibaba for $3 :slight_smile: )

BTW, I just picked a 20V cable as I figured that would also lower the effective amperage- but thinking it again, going to 12V would open up a lot more adaptors- so what voltage does the X3000 “prefer”?

1 Like

Yes, I really struggle to think why GL.iNet did not go for a USB-C port and saved themselves and others all this hassle.

Yeah, after all, I paid pretty decent price (even with early bird); I can’t imagine a PD chip could have added to much to the BOM cost as to change the price percentage so much. I guess the use-case is fixed installs like RVs and vacation homes, so would be hardwired in those cases.

At least I was able to find a $7/per cable that solves my issue.

1 Like

Spitz AX, i.e. X3000, can support wide range of DC input, 9~36V.

1 Like

Yeah, but what voltage is the optimal input?

I think your question is which voltage input has the best power efficiency, right? I will check with our HW engineer.

As a general electrical principal the higher the voltage the more efficient the transfer of electricity. I think technically the more accurate statement is the lower the amperage the better, but higher voltage means lower amperage so tomato tomahto.

Yeah, what’s the best voltage for power efficiency. Thanks, I’m curious as to the answer.

I suppose that the 12V 2.5A as the original power source delivery is the best:

I’m wondering if gl.Inet can suggest some safe configuration to use the x3000 with a USB battery pack, sometime could be useful, even if the battery pack will be able to delivery energy only for one hour.

Cheers
Piero

… or cheapest/most expedient :slight_smile: But I’m curious as to what the hardware guys say; 13.8V is the automotive “standard” voltage.

I’ve got a couple of 12V PD cables on the way, too.

Could you let us know your usage of Spitz AX with battery pack?

Actually we are developing a new 5G Router, named Puli AX (Puli upgrade version), which can support 6~8 hours working time, i.e. Spitz AX + Battery. This product pre-sale time is around middle of June. Puli AX target customer is for home usage or SME business usage.

If more customers have requirement to use it in the car, we will do more vibration test.

1 Like

I don’t really expect to use the SpitzAX on a battery though; I have two LTE services (both unlimited for most intents and purposes) that tend to be faster than the speeds Hotel WiFi are giving lately (and RIP the Hotel Ethernet Jack, it’s a dying breed unfortunately) so I was going to use it fixed when I travel.

… but- then you’d said:

And I’m simultaneously “Ah, I bought too early!” and “… hmm, maybe I need one of these, too?” :slight_smile: Is it going to be any smaller than the current X3000?

You’re welcome. I recommended the usbC to barrel cable idea to the forum folks :wink:
I’ve converted most of my stuff to Type C power.

Puli AX is similar as Spitz AX, but the height is creased a lot as added a big battery. We will publish this product information in coming weeks, and hope customer like to use Spitz AX firstly to enjoy great 5G speed earlier.

:sweat_smile:

Dream of it being mudi sized - dream broken.

How big is the battery for able to run 6 hours ? 30000mah ?

The battery is 6400mAh/7.4V/47.4Wh,equal to 12000mAh/3.7V.
Product height is 50mm (not including the feet height for wall mounting).

30,000 mAh would likely be massive overkill and very expensive for what the Puli AX is likely trying to be. At 7.4V the thing would last a marathon 32 hours (estimated power draw of 7W average which is likely a little high). Not to mention that it would make it illegal to fly on American flights (max of 99Wh per device). Even at 3.7V the thing would be 111 Wh and would last an estimated 16 hours (with the assumed 7W average draw).

A battery that size would be prohibitively expensive to manufacture and sell at competitive rates.

So … you guys got me thinking :slight_smile:

I have one of these that was sitting in a drawer that I’d bought a while back: Introducing the Potent 90W Portable Charger for MacBook Pro, iPhone 12 and More: RP-PB232 (I’d stopped using it as I’d gotten a battery with pass-thru charging). But it’s slimline and can do 20V, so I fully charged it and attached it to my Spitz via a power-meter. After fully charging the battery, at 01:50 PST I turned on the Spitz, then had a laptop in another room connect to it (the idea was to consume a little more power) while the laptop runs a loop of a 41Mbit/sec 4K copy of a movie.

It’s now 09:10 PST, and it’s still got “half” a charge left (can’t really tell with just lights, could be anywhere from 26 to 50 percent). It’s a slimline battery and the whole thing is just 2.5 in high … I may have a “portable” SpitzAX now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You make a prototype of Puli AX. :+1:

Our Puli AX has a more comprehensive battery management design, here are two simple examples:

• When a power adapter is plugged in, the adapter charges the 5G Router instead of using battery, to save the battery life.
  • If the battery is fully charged, will stop charging until it naturally consumes a certain amount of power before recharging, which is also to better protect the battery.

cool!! can you send me the link or the model of the cable/meter you used? seems really cool!!
I know that battery, I can study it on my own :wink:

cheers
Piero