USB Tethering broken in IOS 14 (Fixed Nov 26 2020)

iOS and iPadOS 14 break the USB tethering on GL.iNet routers. If you use iPhone USB tethering to the router, please do not upgrade to the iOS14 or iPadOS 14.

If you have already upgraded, you may use wifi hotspot for now. We do not have a fix for USB tethering right now.

We are seeking various ways to fix this but do not have update until now.

5 Likes

Why is the router dropping the iPhone’s wifi hotspot regularly in repeater mode?
The suggested setup to put the router in repeater mode to pick up the iPhone hotspot wifi is working. But the router loses the hotspot wifi frequently and is not reconnecting automatically. Any hint how to keep the connection alive?

1 Like

Observation: if I keep a constant traffic on the wifi tethering to the iPhone, the tethering connection (router mode is ‚repeater‘) does not drop but keeps alive. Eg if I‘m constantly streaming music on a device connected to the router, the tethering connection is stable now already for almost 24h. Unfortunately this causes a lot of unnecessary data volume which makes this approach not practical.

Has someone an idea, if there is an option that the router is sending frequently a small data package as a heartbeat via the tethering connection? A ping to an internet server, something like this? This could keep the wifi tethering connection alive without causing too much traffic and data volume. Any idea? I think this could be a workaround.

1 Like

It appears to be breaking all routers, not just yours. It’s an Apple problem.

1 Like

Yes, not even just routers by the look of it.

See here. DDWRT, Fritzbox, Linux, Synology, Dell… :frowning:

Have you made any progress?

I‘m not able to get it working in any way. SUPER annoying!

1 Like

Any progress?? I have useless router now

1 Like

Hi

Just bought the router last month for tethering purposes. Do you have any idea when there will be an update to resolve the IOS problem?

Thanks

As @limbot already said, this is affecting not just GL routers, other large brands as well.

You guys can follow along here:

@luochongjun Has been working with them to try to fix it.

Here are Apple users complaining on their official forums, no official reply:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251841768

1 Like

I spoke to upper level support at Apple about a week ago…they said they’re not going to do anything about it. At least that’s what they told me. If someone doesn’t do something about it soon I’m switching to a Samsung

Not an optimum solution and it won’t work for everyone, but I am using my hotspot to drive internet access to my entire network in a very rural location. My workaround is to plug my iPhone into my Mac using USB and then bridge to share the internet to my ethernet port on the Mac. Finally, I connect the Mac’s ethernet cable to the WAN port of the router and it supplies the entire network from there.

Hope this helps at least a few. Bridging can be accessed on the Mac via "System Preferences → Sharing → Internet Sharing and sharing from iPhone USB to Ethernet. It is probably possible to do this with Windows as well, but I didn’t look into it since I was able to do it with the Mac easily.

I’m not sure that this is the same problem that we are experiencing. I turned that feature off on my iPhone in the settings and am still unable to get the iPhone to connect to the router.

Thanks, I’d forgotten about network bridging. Works great on my SP with Win10. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure it’s the same problem we’re experiencing either…
I can connect to the router but no internet

2 Likes

According to the 9to5mac’s article. Will disabling the MAC address randomization fix the tethering problem in iOS 14 and firmware 3.104?

1 Like

No, I tried this already. This is not fixing the problem.

1 Like

Still no progress with a new firmware?

1 Like