Use while in China

In the new few weeks I’ll be hopping around Asia and will be spending about a week in China. I’ll have my AR-300M with me. Will I have any issue with the Great Firewall? I run OpenVPN on my home router and use the AR-300M to browse securely when I’m in hotels. At this point I’ve only used it within the US and this will be my first international trip with it…

Thanks!

I have tried openvpn it works some times. It works in homes but not offices. I have no idea where it works in china. You can use shadowsocks which will surely works. You can set up ss in luci.

A bit of feedback here…

I spent two weeks hopping around Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China. My AR-300M worked flawlessly and in all countries I was able to use both OpenVPN and Shadowsocks. For normal use I used Shadowsocks simply because it gave much better throughput than OpenVPN.

I regularly tested for DNS leaks and once it was set up correctly everything indicated I was browsing from back home in the States…

In most places I was able to use it hard wired which gave much better performance but in a few spots it was WISP which is occasionally a bit more problematic and slow.

Very happy with the router. I’m looking forward to something similar sized with better Shadowsocks / OpenVPN performance and will buy one the second it’s available…

1 Like

@lostdog Our GL-AR750S lunch soon, which supports wireguard vpn protocol with better performance.