Using The Beryl MT3000 On A Flight

Yes, exactly that. Randomize first, then connect and pay.

Great. Is there any special treatment needed for the phoneā€™s MAC address? I have an iPhone which has a ā€œPrivate Wi-Fi addressā€ option that gives a different MAC. Is that okay to use or should I disable it?

Thatā€™s totally fine behind the router, I never turn it off on my phone. Itā€™s just making sure to randomize it on the router, prior to paying or connecting to the internet (airline, hotel, etc). And you donā€™t need to randomize it every timeā€¦ I usually do it once in a while, or if I need a different IP address.

Once randomized, they can no longer tell what type of manufacturer based on MAC OUI. So once is enough, just donā€™t keep it ā€œdefaultā€.

They can block/black list based on behavioral factors, but thatā€™s unlikely, and I havenā€™t see. It done outside of hospitals, and businesses. Airlines and Hotels usually donā€™t care (or have the budget) to invest in newer tech for the sake of control.

1 Like

I wanted to take advantage of the inflight tmobile free wifi offer. The prompt for the offer only appears if you access from a mobile device (maybe itā€™s user agent based?). Do you think they can determine the router isnā€™t a mobile device after redeeming?